Is it worth adding a XFX R7770 to my rig that has a Ryzen 5 2400g?

Matan_25

Distinguished
Apr 8, 2009
I have a rig with a Ryzen 5 2400g and 8GB of DDR4-3000 RAM. I plan on eventually adding a beefier GFX card when I have the pennies to do so, but that will probably be some time away yet. A friend of mine has just upgraded his rig and is offering to give me his XFX R7770 GFX card for nothing.

Is there any reason not to throw this into my rig? Will it make any difference to my performance? Or might there be any issues thrown up by doing so?

Thank you in advance for any help you might have.

Surprisingly, you might not want to put an HD 7770 into your system. The Vega 11 GPU on the Ryzen 2400g is actually a more capable GPU by about 15%. The only reason to put the 7770 into your system is if you need to reclaim some of your system RAM, you'll take a small hit on graphics performance, but have all of the 8 GB.

Ultimately it is up to you, but for the best gaming performance, leave the 7770 out and run the Vega graphics.

Matan_25

Distinguished
Apr 8, 2009
I figured that might be the case. I wasn't sure if the GPU on the Ryzen was better than the GFX card, but suspected it might be. Not knowing enough about these things I wasn't sure if it might help 'share the load' with the onboard GPU, resulting in a possible small increase in graphics performance. I completely understand what you're saying though and it makes sense, I think I'll leave it then.

Thanks for the help.