[SOLVED] Is it worth buying a 240hz monitor?

aymanfarshid94

Honorable
Feb 5, 2018
Hi, I was looking for some advice as there is a listing for a used 240hz AOC AG241FZ 24" monitor at BHD 75 ($198) in my neighborhood

I currently have

i7-7700
Gigabyte z270
500GB M.2 ( Win 10 OS / CSGO / VAL)
2 X 8GB DDR4 2133
XFX RX 580 8GB
Deepcool DN450 PSU

ACER GN276HL 27" 1080p 144hz monitor

I used to play a lot of CSGO back in time and some VAL but not much anymore nowadays. I just wanted to know if the experience I get with this with regards to smoothness would be better if I did play again and also the fact that there is a lot of pixelation in 1080p 27 inch monitors due to Pixel density and PPI (something I didn't know at the time of getting it). Moreover recently there seems to be some sort of strobing lines emerging from the bottom right of the screen if I set to 144hz and isn't much noticeable when reduced to 120hz.

In terms of FPS for both games how much minimum do I need to get the apt experience, I have it uncapped in both games which reaches easily above 350fps average with a once in a while drop to 280 or so.

Thank you

Solution
make sure its a 240hz panel that can actually output the frames ! most BS 360hz and 240hz IPS can't keep with pixel transition so if you actually want to see them 240 fps i'd recommend at least the second gen TN 240hz panels which also have BS ads for 0.2 ms but in reality they can keep to 4ms that should get you the desired 240 fps without any overshoot

DSzymborski

Curmudgeon Pursuivant
27-inch monitors look ugly at 1080p to me, but that's going to vary from person to person. Considering that your GPU won't go above 144 Hz in newer games, it would pretty much mainly be worth it in CSGO. $200 for frames 145 to 240 in a couple games you don't even know if you're going to start playing again doesn't strike me as a particularly good value. And, in any case, if you were determined to put more money into your PC, it would be hard to justify a monitor upgrade while you're subjecting your RX 580 to a cheaply made, group-regulated PSU; it would be the equivalent of getting a moonroof installed on your car instead of dealing with grinding brakes.

aymanfarshid94

Honorable
Feb 5, 2018
27-inch monitors look ugly at 1080p to me, but that's going to vary from person to person. Considering that your GPU won't go above 144 Hz in newer games, it would pretty much mainly be worth it in CSGO. $200 for frames 145 to 240 in a couple games you don't even know if you're going to start playing again doesn't strike me as a particularly good value. And, in any case, if you were determined to put more money into your PC, it would be hard to justify a monitor upgrade while you're subjecting your RX 580 to a cheaply made, group-regulated PSU; it would be the equivalent of getting a moonroof installed on your car instead of dealing with grinding brakes.

Thank you for the honest reply, no better example could have summed that up. I apologize, I wasn't aware of Deepcool products being as such, as at the time I got this couple of years back they had a lot of inline products in local shops here and assumed they were a general tier1 company, only I thing I looked for was the 80PLUS and PCI-e pins when installing in my old prebuilt dell optiplex 9010 for which compatibility itself was a big scare for me considering OEM complications. I will lookout for a good quality PSU.

On the initial point, you are correct 1080p looks terrible on 27-inch. I had a simple Dell P2412 1080p before and 1080p looked so clean. The value as mentioned, yes it doesn't seem to be a good upgrade. I just felt that I could use it a general switch to for both 60hz in normal games and 240hz for comp shooters in a while considering the fact that my exisiting monitor might be showing signs of dying with the strobing.

usla

Distinguished
Feb 16, 2009
make sure its a 240hz panel that can actually output the frames ! most BS 360hz and 240hz IPS can't keep with pixel transition so if you actually want to see them 240 fps i'd recommend at least the second gen TN 240hz panels which also have BS ads for 0.2 ms but in reality they can keep to 4ms that should get you the desired 240 fps without any overshoot

Solution