[SOLVED] Is it worth buying OC RAM?

badaxe2

Distinguished
Aug 27, 2008
I currently only have 8GB x 2 (G.Skill Ripjaws) and am looking to get 16GB x 2 - probably the same type. With a TUF Z270 Mk1/i7-7700 combo, not sure if it's worth going above the default DDR4 2133 to say, DDR4 3200?

I've read through the RAM faq and troubleshooting pages, but it sounds like even with XMP functionality there can be a lot of uncertainty with stability in voltages, timings, etc. depending on MP/CPU config's.

Being a parent of a toddler I don't have a lot of time to spend tweaking and testing; basically just want to buy more RAM and have it "just work" out of the box without more than maybe clicking a bios preset.

Please advise if the OC speed bump is worth the possibility of running into issues with stability?

Thanks for any info

Solution
It is important to be able to justify and understand why you increase RAM.

Games run more smoothly without slower response times. In addition to faster gameplay with fewer jerky movements, a RAM upgrade benefits the visuals of a game as well. Computers with higher memory installed have better 3D rendering capabilities than those with a minimal amount of RAM.
If your requirement is for extra RAM to perform more duties such as Multitasking where the faster the better when rendering or video editing is of benefit.

What is the benefit of more RAM?

Generally, the faster the RAM, the faster the processing speed. With faster RAM, you increase the speed at which memory transfers information to other components. Meaning, your...
It is important to be able to justify and understand why you increase RAM.

Games run more smoothly without slower response times. In addition to faster gameplay with fewer jerky movements, a RAM upgrade benefits the visuals of a game as well. Computers with higher memory installed have better 3D rendering capabilities than those with a minimal amount of RAM.
If your requirement is for extra RAM to perform more duties such as Multitasking where the faster the better when rendering or video editing is of benefit.

What is the benefit of more RAM?

Generally, the faster the RAM, the faster the processing speed. With faster RAM, you increase the speed at which memory transfers information to other components. Meaning, your fast processor now has an equally fast way of talking to the other components, making your computer much more efficient.

It is important to select the right type of RAM at a speed the CPU and Motherboard support. It is wise to choose a kit that have been tested and known to work then listed on the MB QVL.
Your i7-7700 officially supports up to DDR4-2400Mhz and your MB up to 3866mhz.
Get yourself a single kit from the MB QVL that has an XMP profile for easy Overclocking as faster OC frequencies are not guaranteed and usually require tweaking Bios for their correct SPD.

Solution