Question is it worth getting a new cpu?

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

lil___perv

Prominent
Jul 2, 2019
i have an i3 4170 currently and im planing to get an i5 4590 i found for about 65 dollars, is it beneficial at all? should i do it?

Any Core i5 with 4 physical cores, instead of the core i3 with only 2 cores + HT will be a bit better, you also get double the lvl 3 cache.
But from my experience don't expect a miracle.

My old PC had a Core i5 3570 and a GTX 1060 6GB (OC model from gigabyte) and the CPU was bottlenecking the card in some modern games, BF5, SOTR (even if I turn on vsync), the CPU was at 100% usage almost all the time. Never the less games were very playable, but with FPS bouncing around 35~57 fps,and there was clear stuttering.

Light stuff, like say Diablo 3, or similar played without hipccups

Anyways, be advice 4 cores are getting really old, most modern games can handle 8 threads or more without an issue.

Also keep in mind that intels "K" cpus don't come with a stock cooler, so you will have to get one in order to make them work, something like an hyper 212 evo if you plan to OC (There are better options too like Arctic Freezer 34 eSports DUO, and many from be Quiet! and Noctua). If you get one, make sure it will fit your motherboard and also inside your case.

Cheers!

Last edited:

lil___perv

Prominent
Jul 2, 2019
The 4590 is about 41% faster than the 4170 based on passmark scores. Having real cores does help, but it's not like you're going to double the performance.

4 threads is definitely not enough for some of the newest titles, you'll see some bottlenecks during certain situations. Many titles want 6 threads now, even with mid-range graphics. If your motherboard supports it, I'd suggest you get the 4 core 8 thread XEON.

You can get the E3-1245 v3, they're going for like $80 on ebay. 3.4ghz base and 3.8ghz boost, still higher than the 4590.

Just figure out what motherboard your have and we can see if it supports XEON.

Also, make sure you have an aftermarket cooler, bot the 4590 and xeon dissapates 84w tdp. Higher than the core i3.
motherboard, also i found this on a second hand site, is this processor any good?

Last edited:

bohemond1099

Reputable
Oct 6, 2019
i have an i3 4170 currently and im planing to get an i5 4590 i found for about 65 dollars, is it beneficial at all? should i do it?

4 cores is ideal with newer games; here's the deal, most so called tech experts+marketing think the average pc gamer wants to run on the latest hardware, but the average game dev doesn't, which is why games will run fine on 4 cores even today.

I've got everything from Core2 Quad to 10 year old i7s to i5 4440 to i5 6600K to i7 6700 to i7 6850K to i7 7800X; i.e. old and newer 4 cores, and newer 6 cores. When it comes to gaming and all you care about is does it run smooth, then 4 cores are plenty; even those 10 year old i7s can handle modern games. I'm betting since you are looking to upgrade at this point that you are more sensible than chasing the highest FPS on max settings. If that is the case, then a 4590 is plenty fine.

ANY game will run on 4 physical cores. Period. A 4590 will be fine for gaming today; and if that 4170 is doing what you need it to, then you might just wait until RDR2 comes out and see how it runs on it; if it isn't doing the best, then look at the upgrade at that point.

Last edited:
Reactions: daPain58

lil___perv

Prominent
Jul 2, 2019
4 cores is ideal with newer games; here's the deal, most so called tech experts think the average pc gamer wants to run on the latest hardware, but the average game dev doesn't, which is why games will run fine on 4 cores even today.

I've got everything from Core2 Quad to 10 year old i7s to i5 4440 to i5 6600K to i7 6700 to i7 6850K to i7 7800X; i.e. old and newer 4 cores, and newer 6 cores. When it comes to gaming and all you care about is does it run smooth then 4 cores are plenty; even those 10 year old i7s can handle modern games. I'm betting since you are looking to upgrade at this point that you are more sensible than chasing the highest FPS on max settings. If that is the case, then a 4590 is plenty fine.

ANY game will run on 4 physical cores. Period.
so it's worth buying? will there be any difference from what i have now? are 2 cores too little?

motherboard, also i found this on a second hand site, is this processor any good?

Cool, your motherboard does support XEON, so I would go that route if you can find one.

No that CPU you found is not compatible, you need a Socket 1150 cpu and that would be the V3 version of the XEON processors, the one you linked is a gen 1 socket 1155, so keep that in mind.

This one would work, it's 95 Euros: https://www.njuskalo.hr/procesori/intel-xeon-e3-1231-v3-oglas-29288702

The minimum for 4 cores and 8 threads is the 1230, the lower xeon's like the 1226 are only 4 core 4 threads. What you get with higher number xeon's are higher clock speeds, which do help drastically with single core performance, which some games favor over having a great video card.

Since you live outside the U.S., I would look at some chinese recyclers selling cpu's second hand. They ship to every country.

Last edited:

bohemond1099

Reputable
Oct 6, 2019
so it's worth buying? will there be any difference from what i have now? are 2 cores too little?

It will likely depend on the game; if you want to be frugal, then wait until RDR2 comes out and see how it runs first. Will a 4590 run better than a 4170? Yes. How much will depend on the game and how that game handles 4 physical cores vs 2 Physical and 4 threaded. For most games 2C/4T is still enough. You may want to look at this: https://www.gpucheck.com/gpu/nvidia-geforce-gtx-1660-ti/intel-core-i3-4170-3-70ghz/

Sep 11, 2019
i bought a second hand i7-4790 and i7-4770 they work like new, like it just came out of the factory, when buying the K (overclock) version of the cpu just asked how much it has been overclocked and if it has been used for mining, if no then u have the perfect find, just don't pay to much and try bid on them, you might get lucky.

Reactions: SgtScream

blackbird1001

Prominent
Aug 5, 2018
Don't spend good money on some bad ones. To update an old platform, except for more RAM. That's a bad idea. But also think it is a bad idea to put in more RAM, if not it can be done very cheaply. Since you probably cannot reuse RAM. when you buy a new CPU and motherboard.

Save my money, and change Platform. Changing the CPU doesn't give much. You also have too little RAM.

Your can get a Cheep 2200G/2400G, they can be found really cheap now.
It's a far better APU than with just think, own one, and it runs really well.

And then wait for the prices on GPU is falling.

They will, now that there is a little competition between NVIDA and AMD again with the new 5700

https://www.tomshardware.com/review...-2400g-with-windows-mixed-reality,5508-5.html

Last edited:

daPain58

Proper
Sep 30, 2019
Important thing, if you are getting xeon your performance might decrease Coz they are not optimized for gaming. A i5 4590 or 4690 will be enough for future. There are some dudes who overclocked a i5 2500k to over 4ghz and can run battlefield 5 without hitting 100 percent usage. So if you are overclocking then you can expect much more performance than intended. Remember that overclocking requires K models

Sent from my CPH1729 using Tapatalk

blackbird1001

Prominent
Aug 5, 2018
There are some dudes who overclocked a i5 2500k to over 4ghz and can run battlefield 5

Any 2500K OC easily to 4.5 GHz Have also had one myself. But today it is just too slow, and has far too few cores. The 4.5 GHz is equivalent a newer and more modern CPU on 3.5 GHz

It was a really good CPU for the money and it lived 5 long and good years with me.

Didn't think for a minute to upgrade to a 2600K. When Hardware is outdated, then it is outdated. And the money spent on updating is money out the window

The switch to AMD, as you get far more for money, a GOD CPU is cooling in the price. And you can reuse RAM and motherboards in several generations.

A 2200G or 2400G is a find for the price. Initially you save a very expensive graphics card right now. And you can upgrade everything when you can afford it.

daPain58

Proper
Sep 30, 2019
Any 2500K OC easily to 4.5 GHz Have also had one myself. But today it is just too slow, and has far too few cores. The 4.5 GHz is equivalent a newer and more modern CPU on 3.5 GHz

It was a really good CPU for the money and it lived 5 long and good years with me.

Didn't think for a minute to upgrade to a 2600K. When Hardware is outdated, then it is outdated. And the money spent on updating is money out the window

The switch to AMD, as you get far more for money, a GOD CPU is cooling in the price. And you can reuse RAM and motherboards in several generations.

A 2200G or 2400G is a find for the price. Initially you save a very expensive graphics card right now. And you can upgrade everything when you can afford it.
He wouldn't change Mobo

blackbird1001

Prominent
Aug 5, 2018

He wouldn't change Mobo

I know. My head language is not English.
But I'm trying again. My point is.

Don't upgrade old hardware, it can very rarely pay off.

Save the money. For a replacement of the entire feed. -

Here is a good start as the 2400G is extremely cheap, it is a good cooler with saving a graphics card. And you can always replace the CPU and install a graphics card.

Reactions: daPain58