[SOLVED] Is it worth going from Core i5 4670K to Core i7-4790K

Status
Not open for further replies.

SBF76

Commendable
Mar 24, 2020
Good evening all.

I've never upgraded my CPU myself before so I'm a bit wary about doing it. From what I can see, the core i7 4790k is the ceiling for my current motherboard. Is it worth going from my current CPU to the core i7, or would the cash be better spent towards a new motherboard and CPU? The CPU is available at Amazon for £215, processor only. I'm presuming that everything else in my system will work on a new motherboard, in which case the only thing I'll need to upgrade will be the CPU.

If I decide to go ahead with this (after watching copious YouTube videos on the subject until I feel comfortable doing it) will it be possible to change the CPU without removing the motherboard as that's something I'm definitely not sure about. CPU upgrade doesn't look too difficult to be honest but only if a) it's worth it and b) if it can be done without removing the motherboard first. I believe that my current CPU is the weak link in my system but I'm no hardware expert... Can't you tell? :-D

Current Specs:
PSU: Corsair TX650w
Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-Z87-DS3H
CPU: Core i5 4670K
GPU: Zotac GeForce GTX 1660 6GB
RAM: 16gb Corsair Vengeance DDR3

Thanks in advance!

Solution
Is it worth it...Marginally, yes.
The 4790k is still pretty powerful. If you can get it relatively inexpensive, it is probably a good upgrade.

Can you do it without removing the motherboard?
This depends on the case design,and the CPU cooler.

Some coolers are removable from the top side, some require access from the back of the motherboard.
Some cases have large enough holes on the back to do this without removing the motherboard.

USAFRet

Titan
Is it worth it...Marginally, yes.
The 4790k is still pretty powerful. If you can get it relatively inexpensive, it is probably a good upgrade.

Can you do it without removing the motherboard?
This depends on the case design,and the CPU cooler.

Some coolers are removable from the top side, some require access from the back of the motherboard.
Some cases have large enough holes on the back to do this without removing the motherboard.

Solution
What is the make/model of your case?
What is the make/model of your cpu cooler?
Most of the time such an upgrade is not difficult and you would be getting 4 more processng threads.
In order to replace the cpu, you need to be able to remove and re-install the cpu cooler.
Modern cases have a large opening behind the motherboard that makes this easy.
I might add that if you are now using the intel stock cooler, consider upgrading it in the process.
The stock cooler is only marginally adequate for what you have now.

Worth is something only YOU can determine.

The only tricky part is dropping the new processor in cleanly.
If you need to smoosh it around to seat it, you will likely damage motherboard socket pins with unpredictable results.

If you need to go stronger, you are looking at not only a cpu, but a new motherboard and ddr4 ram.
If your windows is oem, you may need a new windows license as well.

punkncat

Polypheme
Ambassador
Honestly, totally according to what you are paying for the i7. Consider that there are AMD and Intel CPU in the newer generations 3 and 5 line that cost well enough less than traditional i7 pricing that you could build most or all of a new platform for the same money. You would have many benefits from moving to a newer motherboard, RAM, CPU.

215 quid is too expensive for one of those. I did this upgrade but from a 4690k and it was totally worth it. But I got my i7 for 140 quid 3 years ago, which was okay for then.

But 215 quid is too expensive given you could likely put together a B450 + 3600 + 16GB 3200-3600Mhz memory system like this:

https://smile.amazon.co.uk/AMD-Ryze...B082PB88GL,B07JJQSKRT&srpt=COMPUTER_PROCESSOR

https://smile.amazon.co.uk/MSI-B450...Q,B07WC724Z7,B08B4V583Q&srpt=MOTHERBOARD&th=1

https://smile.amazon.co.uk/Crucial-...N,B07TB3R9JB,B08SQ75MP7,B07TC4TPCN,B08SQHRJY1

The bog standard Tomahawk Max board is 30 quid cheaper, so you could even save money and go for that. I've linked to the Tomahawk II, but I've no idea what the difference between the two is.

But I think you can see now why yes, it is worth it in terms of an increase in performance and no, not in terms of what you can get for less than twice as much.

That system above could take a 5900x and even a 5950x in future if required. This is dependent on having a good power supply, case etc, so it would also be helpful to get an answer to the question on the rest of your existing kit.

LeviTech

Commendable
Sep 27, 2021
Imo it worth the change, but ofc it will depende on the $$$ that you have to pay for that CPU.
The i7 is way better and only have more 4W of TDP.
The other question is, do you really need that upgrade? If yes, why?

SBF76

Commendable
Mar 24, 2020
So, one thing I won't be doing myself is upgrading the motherboard as I don't feel comfortable doing that.

The other question is about the cooler:

Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO CPU Cooling System - Proven Performance - 4 Continuous Direct Contact Heat Pipes, 120mm PWM Fan https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B0068OI...abc_9YKSSRDNTGXQCF939PVE?_encoding=UTF8&psc=1

Do you generally advise that you get a new cooler when upgrading the CPU, or should that be good to go after a quick blast with the compressed air?

How about this CPU? It's much cheaper; what's the difference to the one that costs £215?

Edit: the i5 was bought in 2013; any point trying to sell it?

Last edited:

USAFRet

Titan
So, one thing I won't be doing myself is upgrading the motherboard as I don't feel comfortable doing that.

Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO CPU Cooling System - Proven Performance - 4 Continuous Direct Contact Heat Pipes, 120mm PWM Fan https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B0068OI...abc_9YKSSRDNTGXQCF939PVE?_encoding=UTF8&psc=1

Do you generally advise that you get a new cooler when upgrading the CPU, or should that be good to go after a quick blast with the compressed air?
The 212 EVO is a good budget CPU cooler.
It is not a great CPU cooler.

But, it will be sufficient for that CPU.

Remeca

Reputable

How about this CPU? It's much cheaper; what's the difference to the one that costs £215?

Edit: the i5 was bought in 2013; any point trying to sell it?
Yes, it's worth selling to offset your upgrade cost. It isn't like a $5 Core2Duo. They go for $60+ CAD.

SBF76

Commendable
Mar 24, 2020
Hi all.

Instead of opening a new thread, I thought I would post this here. The PC is finally getting the proper full fat NG version of FIFA 23, but my current CPU doesn't meet the minimum requirements:

Minimum Requirements

• Processor: Intel Core i5 6600k or AMD Ryzen 5 1600
  • Memory: 8 GB RAM
  • Graphics: NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1050 Ti or AMD Radeon RX 570
  • DirectX: Version 12
  • Network: Broadband Internet connection
  • Storage: 100 GB of available space
My system reaches the recommended specs in all other areas but looks like the CPU doesn't even meet the minimum requirements. Does that mean the game flat out won't run at all, or just won't run quite as well as it would with the minimum CPU specs. Is this somewhere overclocking my current CPU might help or is it time to bite the bullet and get that Core i7. Financially speaking, the timing is pretty terrible; it's an expense I could really do without. But...I really want to be able to play the new FIFA.

If overclocking can help, what is your advice on how to go about it, without ruining the CPU? I've never delved into the murky world of overclocking before.

Edit: my current specs

Specs:
PSU: Corsair TX650w
Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-Z87-DS3H
CPU: Core i5 4670K
GPU: Zotac GeForce GTX 1660 6GB
RAM: 16gb Corsair Vengeance DDR3

To be honest, I wouldn't bother. Even though the i7 is at 90 quid buy it now nowadays, you'd also need to factor in a cooler as a stock cooler isn't going to do the job on a 4790k.

In your shoes, I'd be saving up for a cheap combo Intel 12400 i5 system for relatively speaking, not a great deal more. You have no guarantee that FIFA would work on what is now a pretty old chip. Add to that you only have 8GB of memory, it really isn't worth sinking more money into that system for the length of time you'd get use out of the parts. What if you spent that money and the motherboard fails? You'd be well out of pocket.

Sorry to be the bearer of bad news, but it's wasted money putting anything more into that system.

Start saving for a new one, but act fast if you can before inflation gets really bad.

SBF76

Commendable
Mar 24, 2020
Thanks for your replies. Sounds like it's time for a major upgrade, although it's really out of the question at the moment.

Hopefully it'll run to some acceptable extent even if I have to turn details down a little. The rest of my system actually meets the recommended specs.

As for inflation, how much worse is it going to get? 79p for a pint of milk. Really? 🙄

Edit:

I've had the base unit of this system for well over a decade - in that time the motherboard has been changed once; might it be cheaper and more efficient to go for a whole new system?

Status
Not open for further replies.