Is it worth it to completely switch to an SSD from a HDD?

Manny_2

Commendable
Mar 15, 2016
I've been using a Toshiba 1TB HDD for a year and a half now and only used up to about 400 GB.
Now, Windows 10 takes forever to load which in this case is 6 minutes. And noises were heard even if I am 3 meters away.
I heard that SSDs are much quicker and make no sound at all so I might get a 480 GB SSD and reinstall everything again, but is it worth it though?

Solution
To your original question, yes. An SSD is highly worth it.

All of my systems except for one old slow laptop, have an SSD as the boot drive. Some systems have more than one.

KittyFish62

Respectable
Dec 13, 2016
What I would do to save money is to get maybe a 500Gb SSD and a 500 gb hdd and have all your programs and the os on the ssd and everything else on the hdd. That way you won't have to buy $500+ worth of just storage.

Also if what @USAFRet said is true that your hdd is dying, I would probably back-up all your data to a spare hdd as soon as possible if you didn't backup it up already cause' it sounds like you have a lot of data on it.

Manny_2

Commendable
Mar 15, 2016

Desktop

USAFRet

Titan

Have you run any diagnostics on this drive? 6 minutes is too long.

Manny_2

Commendable
Mar 15, 2016

No. But I did reset it and reinstalled a fresh copy of windows with my important files kept safely somewhere else.