Question Is it worth it to move from a Corsair Spec Delta case to a Phanteks P300A for better cooling ?

RedNeckBack

Prominent
May 20, 2022
Hello, my specs basically b450m s2h / r5 3600 / gigabyte rtx 2060 oc.
I'm using Corsair Spec Delta Rgb and my gpu hit the 83 celcius degree easily. So i wanna get new case which has better cooling performance.
Phanteks P300A Mesh it cost around 55 usd 'for today' and the normal price is around 70 usd in my country and I think it will cost around extra 20usd if i sell my Spec Delta, first i'll buy p300a then i'll sell mine.

I wonder about that P300A stock vs Spec Delta and also p300a with extra 1 or 2 fans vs spec delta airflow and temperatures. I mean that how is good or bad with spec delta ? I guess P300A has a decent airflow even stock fans but it comes just 1 exhaust fans i guess. There is no front (intake) fans. I will have to use for a few months with stock fans if i get P300A. So i'm scared about stock fan being enough for good cooling ?

Last edited:

Ralston18

Titan
Has it always been that way; i.e, the gpu hitting 83 C?

If not then a new case is not likely to solve the problem.

Stop the OC. Does that make a difference?

What make and model PSU: wattage, age, condition (original, new, refurbished, used)?

Power down, unplug, open the case.

Clean out dust and debris.

Verify that all connectors, cards, RAM, and jumpers are fully and firmly in place.

Look for signs of damage.

Something else may be going on: a faulty fan connection, something loose blocking air flows.

If everything worked before then the problem is not the case.

RedNeckBack

Prominent
May 20, 2022
Has it always been that way; i.e, the gpu hitting 83 C?

If not then a new case is not likely to solve the problem.

Stop the OC. Does that make a difference?

What make and model PSU: wattage, age, condition (original, new, refurbished, used)?

Power down, unplug, open the case.

Clean out dust and debris.

Verify that all connectors, cards, RAM, and jumpers are fully and firmly in place.

Look for signs of damage.

Something else may be going on: a faulty fan connection, something loose blocking air flows.

If everything worked before then the problem is not the case.
I bought it 8-9 months ago as a new prebuilt system, and since I first bought it, my video card has been working hot. I've tried undervolt times, for some test it worked but usually it kept its temp. I wanted to improve the air flow of the case, so i ordered p300a. I think it won't provide better cooling with stock fans but i hope it might be worth when i'm using extra 2 intake fans.

Btw my psu is CV550 and this card overclocked ship.

My temperature issues, related on my air flow or related on worst gpu cooling. If the second one, i cannot fix anything about that. I hope it will decrease.

Last edited:

Ralston18

Titan
GPU being:

https://www.gigabyte.com/Graphics-Card/GV-N2060WF2OC-12GD#kf

This PSU?

https://www.walmart.com/ip/Corsair-CV-Series-CV550-550-Watt-80-Plus-Bronze-Certified-PSU/688945867

History of heavy use for gaming, video editing, or even bit-mining?

Is the existing computer case clean inside with no build ups of dust and debris? No blocked or obstructed vents?

All connections, cards, RAM, and jumpers fully and firmly in place?

= = = =

FYI:

https://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/best-psus,4229.html

Not with the intent of immediately purchasing a new PSU.

Just apply the calculators to determine if the existing PSU wattage is indeed capable of keeping up with the peak power demands of your computer.

= = = =

As a pre-built it is very possible that the fans were not correctly installed from the beginning.

How are the existing fans arranged? Front, back, sides, top? Intake and exhaust.

Air flows are very important and adding fans, changing cases, etc. may not help - might make things worse.

If possible, take a couple of photographs showing the existing inside case layout. Then post the photographs here using imgur (www.imgur.com).

RedNeckBack

Prominent
May 20, 2022
History of heavy use for gaming, video editing, or even bit-mining?
Not heavy used. Actually it's a little bit dusty but i have seeing 83 degree when my first day get my PC.
How are the existing fans arranged? Front, back, sides, top? Intake and exhaust
3x on the front side and 1x back sides.
If possible, take a couple of photographs showing the existing inside case layout. Then post the photographs here using imgur
Okay i'll edit 1-2 hours later.
Air flows are very important and adding fans, changing cases, etc. may not help - might make things worse.
You make me confused and i think that if i'm wasting money, rn.
Not with the intent of immediately purchasing a new PSU.

Just apply the calculators to determine if the existing PSU wattage is indeed capable of keeping up with the peak power demands of your computer.
I don't think it related on PSU.

Ralston18

Titan

RedNeckBack

Prominent
May 20, 2022
Copy-pasting this post, as you missed the test by one step: an external fan.
https://forums.tomshardware.com/threads/aio-effectiveness.3708414/post-22353765
I remember that i had tested (without ventilator) open side-panel with my Undervolt settings and if i remember correctly, it hit around 78 degree. Btw if i test side panel is closed with my Undervolt profile, it will hit 83 or more i guess.

Yesterday i tested on witcher 3, because some people say furmark is <Mod Edit>, then i saw 77-78 degree maybe 10-15 minute with undervolt settings, so not heavy-use gaming. (side panel is closed btw)
Then i tried reset my uv profile on msi afterburner while don't quit Witcher 3, then ta daa. It jump out at 83 degree easily.

Last edited by a moderator:

Phaaze88

Titan
Ambassador
Furmark kinda is bull, for the most part; Prime 95(small FFT, all AVX off), but for gpus.
It doesn't accurately represent how many will use their gpu(s) - and for those using the gpu for games, even less so; games are fluctuating loads, and 'no 2 games hit the hardware the same', if that makes sense.

The UV is an added variable: we don't know how it compares to stock, besides the temperature you've reported from 2 apps, or how far it's been pushed; some users are UV'ing by too much.

RedNeckBack

Prominent
May 20, 2022
Furmark kinda is bull, for the most part; Prime 95(small FFT, all AVX off), but for gpus.
It doesn't accurately represent how many will use their gpu(s) - and for those using the gpu for games, even less so; games are fluctuating loads, and 'no 2 games hit the hardware the same', if that makes sense.

The UV is an added variable: we don't know how it compares to stock, besides the temperature you've reported from 2 apps, or how far it's been pushed; some users are UV'ing by too much.
The issue is almost certainly not PSU-related, but it does definitely raise eyebrows to see a basic, entry-level PSU paired with a 2060.

What are the ambient temperatures in the room? 83 at load isn't really all that unusually bad for a GPU.
View: https://imgur.com/a/DzTtRN0

Default fan curve, default voltage settings, side and front panel is close with spec delta and you can see each other details. People say furmark doesn't make sense and also say heavenbench is avoid because it doesn't stress enough. As you can see, it hit 83-84 temp at heaven loop like 10 min.

@Ralston18 sorry for ping but i thought maybe you would look at that.

RedNeckBack

Prominent
May 20, 2022
i build my pc in p300a and now i'm getting much high temperatures. i've tried adding 2 fans into front panel(from my spec delta) and still worse.
I even try extra 2 fans and without side and front panel, then it is still worse.

I mean my gpu is working still hot
cpu is working much more hotter. (almost 15-20 degree)
Please help me :/ i'm scared.
@Phaaze88 @DSzymborski @Ralston18

DSzymborski

Titan
Most likely a loose cooler mount. It's a known case and it's not magically going to be 15-20 degrees hotter without some external reason.

Hard to say much else. You provide little specific information and then when questions are asked to try and get specific information, you ignore half of them. We also have no way of seeing your new install. I'm not even convinced there was a problem in the first place, but now you may have created one.

Reactions: Phaaze88

RedNeckBack

Prominent
May 20, 2022
Most likely a loose cooler mount. It's a known case and it's not magically going to be 15-20 degrees hotter without some external reason.

Hard to say much else. You provide little specific information and then when questions are asked to try and get specific information, you ignore half of them. We also have no way of seeing your new install. I'm not even convinced there was a problem in the first place, but now you may have created one.
I've never disassembled the cooler. I checked to see if it was loose, but it wasn't moving. I disassembled it and reassembled it in my old case. I am requesting a refund, but there may be a low probability that it will be accepted.

RedNeckBack

Prominent
May 20, 2022
I'm not even convinced there was a problem in the first place, but now you may have created one.
Now, i turn back corsair spec delta. If my refund request is accepted, I will buy a cpu air cooler better than stock, instead of the money I will spend on the case upgrade. Do you have any other suggestions for later? Maybe adding a fan to the top side or adding a fan to the top of the psu which means under the gpu, if it will benefit the gpu. I regretted trying to change the case.

Karadjgne

Titan
Ambassador
Yesterday my wife bought new sandals. She tried them on then got all mad because they didn't fit right and wanted to take them back. So I told her 'but hunny, you just took off your boots and are still wearing thick winter socks, of course the sandals won't fit right....'

You bought a new case, and didn't do half of what you should have done, and now blame the case for your failures. Just like my wife didn't take her thick boot socks off before trying to put her feet on the sandals.
I even try extra 2 fans and without side and front panel, then it is still worse.
That says everything. There's absolutely no way, physically impossible, that a cpu in basically open air case will run hotter than the same cpu inside a closed up case like the Spec Delta with the side panels on.

You should have removed the cpu cooler and cleaned/repasted in the new case because it's almost certain that the move/you trying to move the cooler physically, broke the paste seal between the cooler and cpu, and now it's acting more as a thermal insulator than a thermal conductor.

RedNeckBack

Prominent
May 20, 2022
You bought a new case, and didn't do half of what you should have done, and now blame the case for your failures.
If you mean I didn't do the external fan test, I couldn't find an external fan.

You should have removed the cpu cooler and cleaned/repasted in the new case because it's almost certain that the move/you trying to move the cooler physically, broke the paste seal between the cooler and cpu, and now it's acting more as a thermal
And also i checked gpu temps. If the panels are closed, it hit the 83 degree in both of case but when front and side panel is open corsair a little bit cooler prob cuz of number of the fans.

I checked i have thermal paste but i couldn't find. I just have worse thermal paste i mean it has just 2 w/mk. Should i try with it ?

If the current thermal paste is totally dead, it might work. Then i can go with better than but for now, i just have the one.

Last edited:

RedNeckBack

Prominent
May 20, 2022
That says everything. There's absolutely no way, physically impossible, that a cpu in basically open air case will run hotter than the same cpu inside a closed up case like the Spec Delta with the side panels on.
Yeah you are totally right. I test again with spec delta and the cpu hit the same highest temperatures as p300a. Definetely the thermal paste has undergone.
View: https://imgur.com/BUfOpIw

i test firestrike again with spec delta. My general temperature was around 70 degree a week ago. I didn't change thermal paste.

My cpu temperature is still so high according to the attitude. I mean that i test with spec delta again and i see that's not normal. So it's not p300a's fault. I should change thermal paste.
But i predict my gpu temperatures never goes down because case's doesn't effect this one. This should be general among the my gpu model. Repasting may be worth it for gpu but i don't wanna damage to warranty.

Edit: I'll give you a screenshot. GPU with my undervolt profile and panels are closed in the spec delta.
View: https://imgur.com/tbFcj0c

Last edited:

Ralston18

Titan
Ping?

You mean " Air flows are very important and adding fans, changing cases, etc. may not help - might make things worse.

And "You make me confused and i think that if i'm wasting money, rn. "

No problem - and no harm in asking about things that confuse you.

However, the overall concept is that quality and arrangement of the cooling fans is what matters. Not how many fans, how fast they spin, and how much air they may move around, etc..

Could cool perfectly well with a bit of re-arranging /re-directing a couple of the fan. So you would not be wasting money.

Noted that you added some photographs - that is good. Yet air may not be getting to or flowing to locations where cooling is needed.

Just adding in more fans without some specific plan could be a waste of money.

Noted that other suggestions and ideas have been posted regarding causes and solutions.

For now, work with what you have to first determine the root reason for the overheating and then try solutions accordingly,

Karadjgne

Titan
Ambassador
Might help if the was at least the stock cooler. The Wraith Stealth isn't that bad, but what Op has isn't a Stealth. It's not even AMD stock. Not sure what it is or where it came from, but from the design, it's probably worse than stock but came with promises of being 'better than stock'

Hope the gpu has been thoroughly cleaned, especially the heatsink area under the fans.

You pulled the cpu off. You have to clean off the old paste and apply new. Doesn't matter what paste, as long as it was designed for cpu cooler use.