[SOLVED] Is it worth it to use 120GB SSD for boot drive and 500GB SSD for everything else or should I store everything on 500GB SSD

jamezkoe

Reputable
Mar 23, 2014
I was wondering if my computer would run faster if I had a 120GB SSD for my boot drive, and a 500GB SSD for all my other files; or does having everything on a single 500GB SSD work just as well? I don't care about the load times too much, but if its significantly faster to have a separate boot drive, then I'd definitely go with that.

Solution
It is neither faster nor slower.

Your concept is more a personal choice.
Some people, like me, have multiple drives, each with their own purpose.
Aj5Kpr8.png

I like having the OS and applications on one drive, other data on other drives.

Other people strongly advocate a single large drive for everything.

However, at todays prices, I would not recommend buying a 120GB drive for anything. Too small.
The 120GB Kingston in my above pic is 6+ years old, and relegated to below secondary status.

USAFRet

Titan
It is neither faster nor slower.

Your concept is more a personal choice.
Some people, like me, have multiple drives, each with their own purpose.
Aj5Kpr8.png

I like having the OS and applications on one drive, other data on other drives.

Other people strongly advocate a single large drive for everything.

However, at todays prices, I would not recommend buying a 120GB drive for anything. Too small.
The 120GB Kingston in my above pic is 6+ years old, and relegated to below secondary status.

Solution

damicoae

Prominent
Feb 7, 2018
I recently replaced my 120 GB SSD with a 960 GB SSD because some software products wouldn't let me configure the drive they use for temp files, and my C drive was filling. So depending on what you do with your computer, this might be a factor to consider.