[SOLVED] Is it worth keeping the OEM Dell IPSKL-VM (from XPS 8910)

TommyGar

Honorable
May 1, 2014
I currently own XPS 8910, the only non-oem parts are the PSU (Thermaltake 500w) and the GPU (RX 570). I made a post on the "cases" forums about choosing between a Phanteks Enthoo Pro or the NZXT h500 cases to migrate all the components. Someone suggested I should get a new motherboard since the oem Dell mobo is proprietary and the fit would be a major issue. But this computer is only a couple of years old, the warranty it just barely ran out.

I need to know just how good the motherboard on this system is (being a z170) and how it compares to a budget retail gaming mobo. The specific models I have in mind are the Falal1ty B250 Gaming K4 and the MSI B250 Krait Gaming. Either of those go for around $65 - $70 online, used. Maybe someone has a better option for around the same price? I don't want to spend a bunch on a motherboard that I "don't really need", but I want to move my other components to a new case.

My computer's motherboard model is 0WPMFG IPSKL-VM.

Solution
With a 6700 non-K and low speed DDR4 you do not need a Z series board. H270 should offer you everything you need and yes, that proprietary board cannot be used without major and never ending headache of problems trying to modify. Ditch it.

Get a good H270 or B250 motherboard.
With a 6700 non-K and low speed DDR4 you do not need a Z series board. H270 should offer you everything you need and yes, that proprietary board cannot be used without major and never ending headache of problems trying to modify. Ditch it.

Reactions: TommyGar
Solution

TommyGar

Honorable
May 1, 2014

Thank you. Just what I needed to know! :)