[SOLVED] Is it worth overclocking a ryzen 5 2600?

ProPlayerGR

Distinguished
Aug 7, 2016
Hello everyone. I bought a ryzen 5 2600+b450 tomahawk+corsair vengeance lpx 16gb 3000mhz ram. Right now I have an fx 9370 paired with a corsair h100i v2. The b450 tomahawk has not arrived yet, but I suppose by Friday it will have arrived. I was thinking of overclocking the 2600, but I don't know if it is worth it. My gpu is a gtx 1070 and I'm gaming at 1080p 60hz. I use my pc only for gaming. I'm asking because I ordered an am4 bracket kit for my liquid cooler, but it will arrive at 15 August and I don't want to wait that much, especially if the tomahawk will have arrived by Friday. I have read that the stock cooler is very good, but if I'm going to overclock I don't think it'll be enough. So should I overclock the 2600 or not? Thanks in advance.

Solution
The stock cooler will handle a few hundred mhz overclock but it may not make much of a difference but it also depends on the game. The stock performance is quite good and will boost automatically when the performance is required.

WildCard999

Titan
The stock cooler will handle a few hundred mhz overclock but it may not make much of a difference but it also depends on the game. The stock performance is quite good and will boost automatically when the performance is required.

Solution

ProPlayerGR

Distinguished
Aug 7, 2016
Ok thanks for answering. Do you think that I should cancel the order for the am4 bracket kit and use the stock cooler? I like my h100i v2 but the fans make a very frustrating and loud noise. Here it is:
View: https://youtu.be/mUswf-R32bI

WildCard999

Titan
Ok thanks for answering. Do you think that I should cancel the order for the am4 bracket kit and use the stock cooler? I like my h100i v2 but the fans make a very frustrating and loud noise. Here it is:
View: https://youtu.be/mUswf-R32bI
The stock cooler, while effective, can be quite loud. Ended up replacing mine with the 212 EVO Black RGB.

Last edited:

ProPlayerGR

Distinguished
Aug 7, 2016
I personally have an H100i V2, but I immediately replaced the stock fans with MagLev 120mms from Corsair, WAY BETTER FANS. They are so quiet!! I would replace those fans for sure, but the rad and pump and block are still good.

Overclocking a 2600 can be worth it, just depends on the situation.
Which ML 120mm corsair fans did you replace them with? Can you send a link?