Is it worth the upgrade?

davidpersi

Reputable
Aug 16, 2015
My pc is quite old n im thinking of upgrading it. Currently, I have the i5-3470 and a really old GPU. Obviously, im upgrading the gpu. Also I only hav 4 gb of ram so Im getting 16 gb. The only problem is my mobo only supports ddr3 so if i buy 16gb ddr3 now, I wouldn't be able to upgrade my cpu later without another set of ram.
So should I upgrade my pc altogether or should I just get the new gpu and ram.
Note: I do not have the money for gpi right now. Im gonna hav to save up.

Solution
Ryzen is still a very good deal and since AMD has said they will support the AM4 socket till 202, you can upgrade without replacing the motherboard for a while. Intel just forced a motherboard upgrade with Coffee lake and will do so again next year with Cannon Lake.

If I were building a system right now, I'd buy Ryzen and a good AM4 motherboard.
Depends on how long it will take to save up for it. I would go with a lower RAM upgrade though. The GPu you can carry over to a new system should you want to, so I'd go with 8gb RAM on the current one and run that till you actually need more. The only game I know of that needs more than 8gb RAM is Forza.

davidpersi

Reputable
Aug 16, 2015
@Martell1977 @smorizio
Thank u both for ur answer. If I were upgrading my cpu, should I go for ryzen?
I was thinking ryzen 5 1600 sounds nice. Or should I stixk with intel.?

Ryzen is still a very good deal and since AMD has said they will support the AM4 socket till 202, you can upgrade without replacing the motherboard for a while. Intel just forced a motherboard upgrade with Coffee lake and will do so again next year with Cannon Lake.

If I were building a system right now, I'd buy Ryzen and a good AM4 motherboard.

Solution
i would right now on black friday pick up 8g stick of ram or 6 if it cheap. i would then start saving up and buy parts all at once. if your going to buy next year wait for nvidia pascal gpu and pick up the 2060/2060ti and amd ryzen that out then. with both amd and intel now in a fight for people money and amd and nvidia fighting it out on gpu side your going to see newer tech drop faster then before.