Question Is it worth to buy USED MINING GPU

ezrare123

Reputable
May 22, 2018
I like to save money so I am looking 2nd hand as an option. But is it okay to buy used mining GPU for my gaming? It is said that it was used for 1 year of Mining

BTW, the GPU CARD IS GIGABYTE VEGA 64 8GB

in philippines: SRP is about 400$ and the discount price offer is about 250$

Last edited:

DSzymborski

Curmudgeon Pursuivant
I'd be suspicious of a mining GPU. While I wouldn't instantly disqualify it, you would need a much larger-then-usual discount because you're "paying" in the form of increased risk.

In this tier, you can get used Vega 64s/1070 Tis for around $280-$330 depending on the exact one. I might consider a mining Vega 64 for under $200 if I were to buy used.

Just my 2¢:

The problem is that, while it may be fully functional at the time of sale, the abuse that such products have been subjected to when used for mining, results in substantial reductions in reliability and longevity. Miners get rid of GPUs for this very reason.

My time is worth more than any money I might save buying such a used device.

Dreamevil55

Honorable
May 4, 2016
Depends on the miners, some of them take care of their cards really well so the only thing in a card is likely to die are the fans. But it's not easy to tell anyway, who treated a card in which ways. If you were saying that you got a mining GPU around or under $100 like a RX 580 or RX 570, I'd say go for it after checking the card n stuff. But over $200, nah can't really recommend. Totally your risk to take.

TJ Hooker

Titan
Ambassador
The problem is that, while it may be fully functional at the time of sale, the abuse that such products have been subjected to when used for mining, results in substantial reductions in reliability and longevity. Miners get rid of GPUs for this very reason.
Miners typically sell their cards when they're no longer profitable.

Most GPUs used for mining these days are underclocked and undervolted, there's a good chance it was run cooler than you'd typically see in a gaming rig. And if it's run at a constant load 24/7, that would actually result in wear on the card compared to constantly heating up and cooling down with regard to mechanical stress (except maybe for the fans).

Sure, it's always possible it could fail shortly after you buy it and you'd be out of luck. But that's a risk any time you buy a card without warranty.

TJ Hooker

Titan
Ambassador
Is that experience from back when bitcoin mining with your GPU was popular (5+ years ago)? Or during the more recent ethereum mining craze (last couple years)? Ethereum mining is bandwidth limited, so the memory may be overclocked but the core is typically underclocked/undervolted to maximize efficiency.

Last edited:

Flyingsparrow101

Distinguished
Oct 10, 2010
I think it's very much worth it. Buying a GPU used for mining can save you a lot of $$$ as it did me. I got a used 1070 ti a month and a half ago for $300. I've completed a couple of games ever since and it's still running like a champ!

DSzymborski

Curmudgeon Pursuivant
Is that experience from back when bitcoin mining with your GPU was popular (5+ years ago)? Or during the more recent ethereum mining craze (last couple years)? Ethereum mining is bandwidth limited, so the memory may be overclocked but the core is typically underclocked/undervolted to maximize efficiency.

The thing is that is ideal, but I've picked apart more than one rig used by miners that were getting rid of their PCs because they didn't have the slightest clue what they were doing.