Question Is it worth to upgrade my GPU to Nvidia RTX?

Mar 12, 2019
Hello everybody, here is my problem/question.
After my zotac 1080 died 2 weeks ago, i'm looking for a new RTX but i'm a little undecided because of the prices. These are my specs:

MOBO: ROG MAXIMUS X HERO
CPU: INTEL I7 8700K
RAM : 2X8 CORSAIR LPX 3200Mhz
PSU: HXCorsair 1000i

Luckily i got back all the money from my old GC (God bless Amazon) and now i'm trying to choose between RTX 2070 and 2080. At the moment i think the price for 2080 is crazy (i hope it'll decrease in the next few month); on the other hand what is about 2070? Does it worth as an upgrade looking at the future? Or it'll be a good graphic card just for an early period?

Eximo

Titan
Ambassador
GTX1080 and RTX2070 are quite comparable in performance. So if you don't mind a side-grade, there you go.

Ray Tracing itself, I doubt will have much of an impact on gaming in the near future. By the time it is useful there will be better cards for it. So really the only 'future proof' option there is likely the 2080Ti.

The RTX 2070 has higher memory bandwidth. Less CUDA cores, but higher performing ones. Roughly the same core clock speed capabilities.

Really depends on your monitor and resolution I suppose. If you are looking at 1080p high refresh than the RTX2070 is a good choice. If you are running 1440p 60Hz then it should match up well for a few more years at least. If you are wanting 1440p at 100+ FPS then no, it will fall short of that in recent high end titles. But if you play mostly older games, then you can certainly take advantage of that. 4K 60hz it won't quite make it to 60FPS except on older titles, or some serious settings compromises.

But if that is all you are willing to spend, then really isn't room for discussion. I don't think I would be willing to buy an RTX2080. Cheapest I have seen is a refurb at $750. I paid $650 for my GTX1080 + a water block (so I would be looking at that on top of a 2080, and the 2080Ti is a huge waste of money from that perspective)