Question Is it worth upgrading from msi rtx 3080 suprim x 10gb to 4080? ( 1440p gaming)

Anti illuminati

Distinguished
Jun 26, 2015
hello. as you know there is no much time for rtx 4000 series to be released. i play games at 1440p resolution and ultra setting. i want to know for 1440p is it wise to upgrade to rtx 4080 or its an overkill? also i heard that rtx 4080 and 4090 only for 4k gaming and lower resolution players dont need to upgrade because there is no need. is that true? what about future 9th generation games?

Phaaze88

Titan
Ambassador
Reactions: boju
The only person who can answer "is it worth upgrading" is you. Does the performance increase look good enough for you to spend the money to get it? If yes and you can afford it, then go ahead and buy it.

If you're asking for performance information about the RTX 4080, there's nothing out yet. Any one who has anything on the cards is either repackaging what's been rumored, "leaked," or publicly shown with a clickbaity title, or is breaking NDA and they'll likely be dealt with shortly. Also you shouldn't trust them anyway.

Reactions: Cookiezaddict
Sep 10, 2022
There’s no such overkill for QHD if you have high fps monitor, say 144-170hz.

That’s the clue you forgot to mention here, because look, my 6800xt has ZERO issue playing on 55” 4k 60hz native resolution, ZERO issue, if any, my gpu utilise NEARLY half as much as when it uses for 27” QHD 144hz, let’s say the game here is Forza Horizon 5.

Checking all the heaviest setting on Forza, undervolted not overclocked, if I aim for 1440p 144fps, running benchmark mode, my system can only push it to around 120-130fps average, 150-155fps top, with lows hitting 90-100fps. That being said, if 3080 perform roughly identical, even for 1440p 144hz, all ultra and very high setting, it’s not even enough. And how to get it up to 144fps low, for the smoothest experience that our eyes can’t even notice? 4080 16, minimum.

And this is only Forza, I am not talking about Hitman, Cyberpunk, or those required heavy RT and power, where, well, even 3090 can feel like ultra crap 😂 or, Flight Simulator, with all the heaviest map, there are so many heavy games out there where 3090ti and 6950xt still struggle to optimised to get maximum details, even for QHD resolution. I am lucky I’m not a big fan of highly demanding titles.

So it’s about the frame rate you wanna push here, and after that, how deep is your pocket.

Like the comment above me, it’s never about others opinion, it’s about your pocket, and if question need to be asked, that means the money means something to you. For that matter, I say, don’t upgrade.

Why? Because I was thinking about this the entire time and I know the result will all be like these early benchmark and I already posted my 6800xt online, as new condition, highest offer I could get needed me to add $700-800 just to get 4080 12gb, where the performance gain compared to my 6800xt will be minimum, and I need to top well over $1k, to get 4080 16gb.

I am in Australia and 4080 16gb will be well over $2000 here. As 4080 12gb is priced at roughly $1500 no one knows yet.

For me? A 10%-20% performance increase (4080-12) for 100% extra cost is insane. Let alone getting 4080-16 that will cost $2200 minimum, and my gpu used value here in Australia is around $700-800, new $1000.

It’s so much overpriced.

US prices are way better but still, imagine can only get $550-600 for your 3080, and then what? You spend extra $800 for good 4080-16? That is insane. Unless you earns $2-3k a week after tax, I’d say, a pass is wise.

Last edited:
Reactions: spentshells
There’s no such overkill for QHD if you have high fps monitor, say 144-170hz.

That’s the clue you forgot to mention here, because look, my 6800xt has ZERO issue playing on 55” 4k 60hz native resolution, ZERO issue, if any, my gpu utilise NEARLY half as much as when it uses for 27” QHD 144hz, let’s say the game here is Forza Horizon 5.

Checking all the heaviest setting on Forza, undervolted not overclocked, if I aim for 1440p 144fps, running benchmark mode, my system can only push it to around 120-130fps average, 150-155fps top, with lows hitting 90-100fps. That being said, if 3080 perform roughly identical, even for 1440p 144hz, all ultra and very high setting, it’s not even enough. And how to get it up to 144fps low, for the smoothest experience that our eyes can’t even notice? 4080 16, minimum.

And this is only Forza, I am not talking about Hitman, Cyberpunk, or those required heavy RT and power, where, well, even 3090 can feel like ultra crap 😂 or, Flight Simulator, with all the heaviest map, there are so many heavy games out there where 3090ti and 6950xt still struggle to optimised to get maximum details, even for QHD resolution. I am lucky I’m not a big fan of highly demanding titles.

So it’s about the frame rate you wanna push here, and after that, how deep is your pocket.

Like the comment above me, it’s never about others opinion, it’s about your pocket, and if question need to be asked, that means the money means something to you. For that matter, I say, don’t upgrade.

Why? Because I was thinking about this the entire time and I know the result will all be like these early benchmark and I already posted my 6800xt online, as new condition, highest offer I could get needed me to add $700-800 just to get 4080 12gb, where the performance gain compared to my 6800xt will be minimum, and I need to top well over $1k, to get 4080 16gb.

I am in Australia and 4080 16gb will be well over $1800 here. As 4080 12gb is priced at roughly $1300-1500 no one knows yet.

For me? A 10% performance increase for 100% extra cost is insane.

So instead of thinking towards that direction I am now thinking to get myself a water cooled 6900xt or 3090. They’ll need less additional cash on top of my current gpu if it’s sold, and they’ll perform just enough, to get to where I wanted it to be.
Absolutely it comes down to individual choice. I have 3080 running a 1440p 240Hz monitor. For me I see no point in upgrading for my current games. However, I don’t use RT and I don’t have to run ultra. Dropping some/most settings down from ultra to high/very high settings in my more gpu heavy games is enough to get 200+ fps. I doubt anyone could tell the difference in detail settings by only playing the games, especially FPS and racing games. The only way to see the detail difference would be comparing still shots side by side.

Last generation I knew I wanted to upgrade my 2080S to a 3080 and got the 3080 at launch. This generation I just don’t feel the need. Will be interesting to see how long it takes for the games I play to need noticeable compromise in game settings to achieve the fps I want, only then will I start considering an upgrade.

Sep 10, 2022
Absolutely it comes down to individual choice. I have 3080 running a 1440p 240Hz monitor. For me I see no point in upgrading for my current games. However, I don’t use RT and I don’t have to run ultra. Dropping some/most settings down from ultra to high/very high settings in my more gpu heavy games is enough to get 200+ fps. I doubt anyone could tell the difference in detail settings by only playing the games, especially FPS and racing games. The only way to see the detail difference would be comparing still shots side by side.

Last generation I knew I wanted to upgrade my 2080S to a 3080 and got the 3080 at launch. This generation I just don’t feel the need. Will be interesting to see how long it takes for the games I play to need noticeable compromise in game settings to achieve the fps I want, only then will I start considering an upgrade.

Exactly, the community needs to think about it this way. In the end, it’s coming down to what’s the monitor we are using? What are the games? We feel the system running low? Upgrade, it feels slow but our bank shallow? Turn down setting. Our system feels good, but we just got so much money? Upgrade.

The problem among enthusiasts today are that one feeling of needed to upgrade just because something is looking good, and somehow $2k looks cheap in term of a hardware that lasted for 5yrs, it’s like, assume the end value after 5 years would be $200, that means $1800 depreciation in 5 years, that is $360/yr average loss, $30 per month, $7 per week.

If we wanna see it that way, 4090 is a very cheap gpu for what it offers, if, we have the money. If not, man, a pro competitive gamers out there are still using old GTXs and killing the games they are playing 😂.

After reading this, look at our saving, do we have $2k to burn now, if yes, upgrade, because in the end, this is a hobby, our kind of entertainment, to lose $7-10/wk for this? If we have what it takes, it is somehow can be seen as a cheap hobby. It’s not like buying car engine or a boat really. But if we don’t even have the money that much to be thrown into the bin, man, 4090 cost a kidney 😂

TheOtherOne

Distinguished
Oct 19, 2013
To OP, I would suggest it's not worth the upgrade if you are staying at 1440p and already getting good results at ultra settings for the games you play.

I am in Australia and 4080 16gb will be well over $2000 here. As 4080 12gb is priced at roughly $1500 no one knows yet.

For me? A 10%-20% performance increase (4080-12) for 100% extra cost is insane. Let alone getting 4080-16 that will cost $2200 minimum, and my gpu used value here in Australia is around $700-800, new $1000.

It’s so much overpriced.

US prices are way better but still, imagine can only get $550-600 for your 3080, and then what? You spend extra $800 for good 4080-16? That is insane. Unless you earns $2-3k a week after tax, I’d say, a pass is wise.
Have you checked exchange rate recently? 🤔 USD900 =/= AUD900 or anywhere near! Exchange rate is around 1.60 and that will bring 4080 12gb version cost to AUD1,440 when converted with advertised retail cost in US $899.

Now, lets add extra costs of import/export taxes (both sides) and cost of following Australia Consumer Laws and then on top of that any extra margin retailers there might want to have. That 4080 12gb priced @ AUD 1,500 seems perfectly fine. I would even say you are lucky to get it so close to retail price unlike in US where scalpers will end up buying most of the stock and then resell at higher price.

hello. as you know there is no much time for rtx 4000 series to be released. i play games at 1440p resolution and ultra setting. i want to know for 1440p is it wise to upgrade to rtx 4080 or its an overkill? also i heard that rtx 4080 and 4090 only for 4k gaming and lower resolution players dont need to upgrade because there is no need. is that true? what about future 9th generation games?
The question is whether it's worth it to you. Everyone is different in what sort of graphical compromises they are willing to accept over time to maintain their performance. If you must have the highest frames possible at the highest possible graphical settings and you have the money, then buying at the start of a GPU cycle is not such a bad thing to do.

I have a 3080 @ 1440p, for me personally it's not worth it so I will skip this generation.

Sep 10, 2022
To OP, I would suggest it's not worth the upgrade if you are staying at 1440p and already getting good results at ultra settings for the games you play.

Have you checked exchange rate recently? 🤔 USD900 =/= AUD900 or anywhere near! Exchange rate is around 1.60 and that will bring 4080 12gb version cost to AUD1,440 when converted with advertised retail cost in US $899.

Now, lets add extra costs of import/export taxes (both sides) and cost of following Australia Consumer Laws and then on top of that any extra margin retailers there might want to have. That 4080 12gb priced @ AUD 1,500 seems perfectly fine. I would even say you are lucky to get it so close to retail price unlike in US where scalpers will end up buying most of the stock and then resell at higher price.

Bruh why are you teaching me about exchange rate? first, I mentioned $1500 for 4080-12, not $900. Why do you think I did that? Second, I said ‘roughly’, we don’t know until it is available but rough estimation, based on current currency rate, it can be $1400, it can be $1700, nobody knows but retailers. And they’ll have mediocre cards and good premium cards priced differently, that’s always been the story, 3070 Ti today, here in Aus, some are available at $800, and the premium cards like Rog Strix sold at $1100, and still selling well. Lol

And no, you don't need to teach me about import/export taxes and consumer laws either, that's common knowledge, added into consideration. If any, retailers within this PC industry, are not very reliable in term of following Australia regulation. Ain't like general major players in electronic stores such as JB Hifi where we can return, claim warranty headache free, even the best PC stores out there will try to get away avoiding RMA and make things complicated. I tried to return extremely loud PSU, 1 day old, they said it's normal for PSU to have coil whine LMAO, so I return it at "change of mind" policy instead of RMA scheme, cost me $49. Get another PSU from another store, been using it for 2 months, not a noise. Aussie consumers protection is great, but it only applies to certain major electronic stores, PC stores in Aus, based on my experience and what I read online, acting per US standards LMAO.

So, let's focus on the main topic here, performance upgrade Vs money spent ratio. And my original comment is potentially the best out of this page, already LOL.

I wrote US price better than Australian price simply because, well,

4080-12 was advertised for only $900, and over there my TUF 6800xt OC, still $750-800. US Ebay listings for used 6800xt priced at $600-700, that leaves them option to top extra $300-400 if sold, for MSRP 4080-12. Currency rate? It's only extra $500, to get the upgrade, or if wanted to get 4080-16 that's probably cost $1300 later on, ex 6800xt users that sold their GPU for say $600, need to add extra $700, in AUD, that's extra $1000.

Us in Australia, If I were to sell my GPU now, best best I would get is $800, and to get 4080-16, I will need to top around $1400-1600 extras. That is around 850-1000 USD. Now, you also understand, why GPU prices in AMERICA considerably much better than Australia

OH, and Australia too, just like the rest of the world, got all these resellers buying out everything that's highly anticipated by people.

However, I believe it's not their time now, let alone for 4080-12, no one really anticipating that particular GPU, unless we own extremely outdated GPU. For the money needed to spend for the upgrade, even people with 2080ti or 3070ti may just skip that thing. If, we own super outdated GPU, or building new PC from scratch, or moving out from console, then yes, 4080-12 worth the money, especially here in Aus, it's $700 cheaper than the 16gb counterpart at least. LOL. and for 4080 16gb, it's considerably high rollers rig, that breaks the price of current 3090Ti both in the US and in Australia, how many people today willing to pay a 3090? let alone 3090 Ti? Not many, because not many people have that kind of many for "gaming". and if these scalpers get them, try to sell them at 1500 USD? LOL, they'd lose money. No one are going to get them at that price, too much.

Last edited:

NickyB

Distinguished
Nov 14, 2008
I play at 3440x1440p and my 3080 OC 10GB has not run into 1 issue. Gon keep it till 5 series. 4 series will be unavailable the first year. Just like the 3 series was. Gooooooood luck with getting one.

For the OP, go check out all the review sites - the review embargo lifted for the 4090 Founders Ed., today.

Spoiler - It's fast! Like REALLY fast!
Spoiler² - It makes a good difference, in some games, at 1440p but 2160p (and w/RT) is where the biggest difference is at.
Spoiler³ - Most of the difference in the reviewed games is in the upper echelon of FPS numbers. Yes, 600FPS is 100% greater than 300FPS, but are you really being limited at 300FPS...?

(Yes, I realize that the reviews are for the 4090 but if the generational uplift stays the same, the 4080's performance will be through the roof as well, compared to the 3080)

Last edited:
Reactions: Why_Me