Is it worth upgrading HD6870 XFX DD

May 4, 2018
Looking at upgrading my PC wondering where to start or to just start with a brand new PC. It’s a 2012 build so is getting on a bit now, it still holds up on most medium setting games. Just looking for a little more...

I’m running:
i7 2600k CPU
8GB Corsair vengeance DDR3 ( 2x4gb sticks ) 1600mhz ram
Radeon HD6870 XFX DD
ASUS P8Z68-V Gen 3
WD Blue 500GB SSD (fitted 6 months ago)
coursair TX650 power supply

With RAM and GPU pricing slowly coming down to reasonable levels now I think I’m going to give it a go, any advice on what to upgrade first? Or just cut my losses and build a new system?

Solution
The i2600k is still plenty capable. There MIGHT be an argument for getting more RAM, depending on the games.

That said, though, a video card upgrade will definitely give you a big boost. Plus, if you then do upgrade the rest of the system later, the video card can be carried over.

If I had your hardware, I'd start with the video card.
May 4, 2018

Budget is flexible but want to play Battlefield 1/4 WoW BFA and similar titles. Don’t want to be spending thousands but will piece it together over the next 6 months/ save a pile and go from there if I build a new system.

Other uses as a workstation but nothing OTT occasional YouTube video editing.

If you want a nice boost now whilst you save up for the new pc just get the gpu you want now at msrp and go with it.

King_V

Illustrious
Ambassador
The i2600k is still plenty capable. There MIGHT be an argument for getting more RAM, depending on the games.

That said, though, a video card upgrade will definitely give you a big boost. Plus, if you then do upgrade the rest of the system later, the video card can be carried over.

If I had your hardware, I'd start with the video card.

Solution