Question Is it worth upgrading my AM4 Ryzen 5 1600 to a Ryzen 7 5800x or upgrade to AM5 Ryzen 5 7600x ?

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Ahannaan99

Reputable
May 15, 2019
Hi everyone,
I wanted to ask that should i upgrade my am4 Ryzen 5 1600 to Ryzen 7 5800x, or to higher AM5 Ryzen 5 7600x. I am confused and is it worth it?

Thanks...

zipspyder

Distinguished
Jan 15, 2014
What if i go for am5 will it be worthit with rtx3060ti?

Even more performance for the 3060 Ti? I doubt it unless you upgrade the graphics card. But "worth it" is all relative to your own personal expectations and cost considerations. That first generation Zen jump to the 5K series cpu in terms of IPC is pretty significant vs. the 5K series to 7K. The million dollar question has always been when to upgrade to the newer generations.

Ahannaan99

Reputable
May 15, 2019
Oh
The A320 chipset motherboards are iffy about using 5000 series cpus. AMD Official policy is that All AM4 cpus will work, but that stops there. AMD is not responsible for what the Aftermarket Partners do. So whether a 5000 series cpu will actually work on a particular A320 mobo is entirely dependent upon the bios provided by the Vendor. A 5600 may work, or might not work, that is something to be verified by contacting Gigabyte about that particular motherboard.

The problem itself stems from the bios chips used. The A series was bottom of the line basic, even some early B series also suffered, because the bios chip used was too small in size to accept the massive amounts of info and update instructions to accommodate Zen, Zen+, Zen2 and Zen3 use. Newer bios chips doubled the size of the chip, so are big enough, but early A+B series were stuck trying to put 10lbs of stuff in a 5lb bag.

Don't buy the 5000 series cpu until you can verify it will work, or you have a 50/50 chance with even the latest bios, of having a bunk cpu.
Oh damn this all is too complicated ill better try upgrading to am5 iff possible in jan or else new am4 mobo with supports 5000 series.

Ji
thank you soo much for these clarifications just wanted to ask that r7 5800x 3d wont be good for RTX 3060ti as i didn’t understand when you said it (wont be noticeable benefit) with r75800x3d. Please can you explain me.

The Ryzen 7 5800X3D would only be indicated if you had a graphics card that generated so many frames that a CPU bottleneck was created, and a RTX 3060 Ti isn't powerful enough to do that. There is nothing wrong with you purchasing the Ryzen 7 5800X3D; I've heard and read that it's a great chip. But with that being said, it doesn't offer the most value compared to that of the Ryzen 5 5600.

I'm curious, what resolution do you game in? Earlier, you mentioned to a fellow Tom's Hardware member that you plan on purchasing a 144 Hz monitor, which leads me to assume that you're currently using a 1080p 60Hz display, and are planning on getting a 1080p monitor again, but at 144 Hz. Instead of a 1080p 144Hz monitor, I recommend that you get a 1440p 170 Hz IPS display. I've time stamped the Hardware Unboxed YouTube video below to the Gigabyte M27Q-Pro (time stamp 4 min 33 s), but do not pay more than $250 USD for it. Currently NewEgg has a significantly higher price-holder price, which you absolutely should not pay. Simply wait until the monitor becomes available for the $250 price.

In Summary my recommendations remain the same: Buy the Ryzen 5 5600 cpu / Solidigm P41 Plus 2TB SSD / Gigabyte M27Q-Pro monitor. The combination of these three upgrades offer significantly higher value then over spending on an entirely new AM5 platform. Those are my suggestions, and I leave the rest in your capable hands.

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x6Hhe8EygdQ&t=343s

----------------------------
AMD Ryzen 5 5600
$136.99
https://www.newegg.com/amd-ryzen-5-5600-ryzen-5-5000-series/p/N82E16819113736
Solidigm P41 Plus Series 2TB
$124.99
https://www.newegg.com/solidigm-2tb-p41-plus/p/N82E16820329022
Gigabyte M27Q-PRO (*Do not bother purchasing the older and moderately inferior Gigabyte M27Q non-Pro model)
$249.99 (* Pay no more than this price)
https://www.newegg.com/p/N82E16824012050

Karadjgne

Titan
Ambassador
The Ryzen 7 5800X3D would only be indicated if you had a graphics card that generated so many frames that a CPU bottleneck was created, and a RTX 3060 Ti isn't powerful enough to do that. There is nothing wrong with you purchasing the Ryzen 7 5800X3D; I've heard and read that it's a great chip. But with that being said, it doesn't offer the most value compared to that of the Ryzen 5 5600.
What are you talking about? A gpu doesn't 'generate' any frames whatsoever, that's the job of the cpu, which will 'generate' All the frames it can. A bottleneck is something that slows down the flow of data, so a cpu can Never be a bottleneck because it is the Source of fps. If a gpu happens to be strong enough to be able to render more frames than is sent, it's under-utilized, but that condition can and does change with every game.

The only thing the gpu is for is eye-candy. The stronger the gpu, the better the detail levels per frame. A 3060ti can Ultra just about every game at 1080p resolution, but is somewhat middling at 1440p and on the low end of the scale for 4k.

But that's got nothing to do with fps other than the amount it can actually put up on screen.

As far as Value goes, that's a personal matter. It might be somewhat bad value as far as price to performance goes vs a 5900x or 5600, but whether that's bad value to the user isn't decided by anyone else but the user. Downgrading to a different cpu just because it's cheaper isn't always the best decision, or even a wise one.

The best cpu/platform for Op is the best cpu he can justify spending out on. If he has reason to believe he can justify a 5800X3D, that's for him to decide.

Reactions: Ahannaan99