Is it worth upgrading my cpu/motherboard/ram or should I buy a better monitor?

ProPlayerGR

Distinguished
Aug 7, 2016
Hello. So I have a fx 9370 and a gtx 1070 and I'm planning to upgrade my cpu/mobo/ram but I was thinking if I should buy a better monitor as I'm gaming on a tv at 1080p 60hz. The problem is in some areas in many games I don't have 60fps so wouldn't it be better to upgrade my rig rather than buy a better monitor? Or I will be limited with a 60hz monitor? Thanks in advance.

You should definitely upgrade the system first. If you aren't getting over 60 FPS in most games as it is, a high refresh rate monitor isn't going to do you much good.

A 60Hz monitor isn't going to hold you back necessarily, but the TV thing is a minor issue. There can be as much as 20 times the input lag on a TV as there is on a monitor. If you have the funds to spare, getting a dedicated PC monitor might get you a smaller picture, but will improve the experience. So, you can use the money you saved not going with the 2700X over the 2600X to get a reasonable PC monitor. A good 21"-ish monitor can be had for around $100 on Amazon.

ProPlayerGR

Distinguished
Aug 7, 2016
Wait though I think I found a good deal. So a 2600x, a 120€ mobo and under 200€ ram with a 140€ monitor will do the job. So can you recommend a good motherboard for 120€-130€ and ram that will run 3000-3200mhz on this mobo but not too overpriced ram? Because all these(2600x/mobo/ram/monitor) will cost me 700€ so I think it's a good offer. The monitor I found is the aoc g2460vq6 and it costs 147.88€ in greece. So can you recommend a mobo with 120-130€ from greece with ram that can reach 3000-3200mhz at 190€-200€ or cheaper price? Thanks in advance.

RaGiN Z

Prominent
Jul 29, 2017
I would like to see the source material that proves a tv having 20 times more lag than a computer monitor. I'm fairly certain that it's not comparing apples to apples.

Rexer

Distinguished
If you're like me, who looks under the rug and on the wash room floor for a dime, hardware prices are always a goblin in the face. I would imagine if you're upgrading on a budget, buy the components one a time, what's on sale first, regular price last, is one strategy.
Usually in a span of 90 days most of your components (at one time or another) will be on sale. I buy stuff like hard drives, ram, cases, hardware coolers and power supplies last because models and types seem have market longevity and only minor upgrades in a 3 year span. Only a sale sparks a immediate buy.
I'm not a geek or a tinkering hobbyist so I keep my hardware for as long as I can. I see upgrades about every 4 to 5 yrs. Heck, I still use a 9 yr. old i7 970 as a dedicated surfing machine. It's expendable if the web punishes it.

https://www.rtings.com/monitor/tests/inputs/input-lag
https://www.rtings.com/tv/tests/inputs/input-lag

20 times is an extreme edge case, I'll admit it rarely happens, but it has happened. In general most TVs are reasonable, but have noticeable input lag, and a few have input lag times far greater than monitors. Wed are talking 10ms on a reasonable monitor to nearly 100ms on some TVs, game mode helps in most cases, but there are a ton of TVs that just can't touch what a dedicated monitor is capable of.

I can't find my example as I read it in a review a long time ago when I was trying to figure out why my new TV was HORRIBLE for playing games. The TV had an input lag of just over 200ms, with no game mode to make anything better. It was a Polaroid TV.