[SOLVED] Is it worth upgrading to from i7 7700k to a 9700K or 9900K?

museprime

Distinguished
Mar 27, 2013
I have a i7 7700k that I have never used. It's brand new. Along with a Along with also a brand AZ270 E Asus ROG Strix Mobo.

I haven't gotten around to using them. So I decided to get something new. I guess future proofing. My first question is, does $450 sound like a good price to sell both as a pair. and my other question. Should I do it and just and would a 9700K and or a 9900K a good reason to upgrade. I am hoping to get a 2080 or 2080ti to pair with. Didn't want to run into any bottlenecking issues. I also plan to do some streaming with it.

Thanks in advance.

https://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=9SIA4RE88U8640&Description=SUS%20ROG%20STRIX%20Z270E%20GAMING&cm_re=SUS_ROG_STRIX_Z270E_GAMING-_-9SIA4RE88U8640-_-Product

Solution
The 7700K was good enough for Tom's to do their benchmark testing see:

https://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/nvidia-geforce-rtx-2080-ti-founders-edition,5805.html
"Nvidia’s latest and greatest will no doubt be found in one of the many high-end platforms now available from AMD and Intel. Our graphics station still employs an MSI Z170 Gaming M7 motherboard with an Intel Core i7-7700K CPU at 4.2 GHz, though. The processor is complemented by G.Skill’s F4-3000C15Q-16GRR memory kit. Crucial’s MX200 SSD remains, joined by a 1.4TB Intel DC P3700 loaded down with games."

Not sure where people get the idea that it is not good enough for RTX2080ti. If you got a Ryzen then you'd got problems.

museprime

Distinguished
Mar 27, 2013

What kind of price, You mean if I am able to sell the pair for $450? also really the 7700K can't handle a 2080 or a 2080ti?

nobspls

Reputable
Mar 14, 2018
The 7700K was good enough for Tom's to do their benchmark testing see:

https://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/nvidia-geforce-rtx-2080-ti-founders-edition,5805.html
"Nvidia’s latest and greatest will no doubt be found in one of the many high-end platforms now available from AMD and Intel. Our graphics station still employs an MSI Z170 Gaming M7 motherboard with an Intel Core i7-7700K CPU at 4.2 GHz, though. The processor is complemented by G.Skill’s F4-3000C15Q-16GRR memory kit. Crucial’s MX200 SSD remains, joined by a 1.4TB Intel DC P3700 loaded down with games."

Not sure where people get the idea that it is not good enough for RTX2080ti. If you got a Ryzen then you'd got problems.

Solution

Apparently, nobody agrees with you... http://www.tomshardware.com/answers/id-3815376/2080ti-bottlenecked-7700k.html

7700K still one of best when considering single core performance... There will be no problem in handling 2080/Ti for such processor. Most of the games it will do fine except some of those AAA titles such as BFV.
I would say sell it only if you can archive good profit.

museprime

Distinguished
Mar 27, 2013

I was thinking about listing the mobo and the CPU for $450. Also yes I am going to playing games like BFV. Do you think $450 is a good price or reasonable or should I be listing it for more?

These parts are very expensive in my country.. I believe this can go up to $600 may be more in where i live. But i don't know about the rates of where you are. But i think this can be raised a bit.

nobspls

Reputable
Mar 14, 2018

Nobody that know anything like Tom's .... Yep a few random posts has more weight than Tom's careful reviews. Makes a lot of sense. LOL.

That article assumes that you have a 1440p or higher screen. That might not be true for OP. So yeah, Tom is not wrong, but you fail to understand the scenario, passing a blanket statement.

nobspls

Reputable
Mar 14, 2018

Blanket statement eh... But at least Tom's has the data to back it up. Where is your data to show that the 1080p scernario is actually special? Where is the data to show that the 7700K is truly inadequate in the1080p benches with the RTX1080ti? That is what you call a blanket statement with zero evidence.

If you have any idea of Turing, you will know that SS scales better with more cores on lower res. Go figure...

nobspls

Reputable
Mar 14, 2018

Another blanket statement without any substantiated evidence. Please show the data, the benches. Something to back your claims. And you haven't even defined what qualifies as "scales better" Any bench results with 9900K restricted to 4 cores only?

There have been several comparisons showing just what a 7700K will do in comparison with the 8700K and 9700K in games such as BF1 and BF5 in recent weeks, and, barring a 'must stream and game scenario' the differences in framerates are not all that significant....

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3rOVfeujof4&t=746s

Is the 8700K/9700K/9900K faster? Sure, by a few fps. Is it worth the $600-700 or so total for MB and new CPU and cooler? It's your wallet.

Where is the evidence of 1080p, that it works smoothly with 7700k???

nobspls

Reputable
Mar 14, 2018

Look at Tom's Hardaware's data. Show me a case where the fps at 1440p is actually greater then those at 1080p for any given game at the same quality setting? If it can do an acceptably smooth job at 1440p it certainly will do an acceptably smooth job at 1080p. That fact is straightforward and undeniable.

Heck. it is well established fact that Ryzen bottlenecks the GPU more at lower resolution, but all the Ryzen supporters will tell you, that it is will be plenty smooth with Ryzen too even when they benchmark even lower. I wouldn't advise this, but there are people running 2080ti on Ryzen rigs, and it is good enough for them.

boju

Titan
Ambassador
To the OP. If you want to play games like GTA5, BF series online and stream as well, id go the 9900k. The extra threads will certainly help across the board not just streaming but overall frame rates and smoother multiplayer as you intend to do.

Regarding the debate about resolution vs frame rates, this depends on the game and also how performance is impacted in single and multiplayer. Top end cards are able to produce a high level amount of frames both in 1080p and 1440p, but it's not entirely about frame rates. The cpu needs to pre-render frames so you don't want it doing too much pre-rendering because it still needs to do other game related stuff. Especially in multiplayer, if your cpu is overworked trying to feed the graphics card there's a high chance of fps drops and stutter. Single player is not that much of an issue in a lot of games, can have cpu usage quite high and still be smooth, benchmarks as well.

Watch this to get an idea what i mean about refresh rates and cpu usage.
[video="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Qo3EJzHuXok&t=3s"][/video]

1080p would see the graphics card put out more frames and along with that cpu usage increases, leaving little cpu recourse for NPC's and other game assets. Since the cpu can't just ignore other aspects of the game can see the gpu being restricted in scenarios where the cpu can't give it any more frames. As i said, performance in games can vary depending what you're doing and also depends what the cpu can handle. 1440p also has high cpu usages, i think once you're over 100fps cpu usage can be quite high even for the best cpus today.

Usages can be higher again on single core cpus without hyperthreading (8600k, 9600k 9700k). Game's still rely on the primary core and hyperthreading helps here instead of it dragging the other cores down if the usage is too high.

Jan 27, 2019
You should definitely upgrade your cpu to at least an 8th gen intel cpu. The 7700k is almost definitely going to get bottle-necked by a 2080ti and probably also the 2080. while the i9 9900k is the best gaming cpu on the market, I'd prefer the i7 9700k for it's price (still a little inflated imo).

At higher resolution the frame rate gets diminished typically loading the card more than the CPU. As you move to lower res. the rendering moves more towards the CPU thereby loading the CPU task more than the GPU.
Lower res. are easy for graphics cards, so the CPU role is very crucial for that.

boju

Titan
Ambassador

You're kind of right in a sense. The cpu pre-render each frame demanded by the gpu, it doesn't matter if its 1080p, 2k or 4k. The amount of fps the gpu does the cpu needs to ready first. Lowering the resolution obviously produces more frames and with that, the cpu needs to ready more frames prior to delivery thus increasing cpu load, this can have a negative effect as i explained in my other post above. It's not in a sense where lowering the resolution the cpu then begins to dominantly render. The cpu is pre-rendering all the time before the gpu displays the final image.