[SOLVED] Is it worth upgrading?

Nov 8, 2021
Hi, im currently using an igpu from intel core i3 4150, the intel HD 4400. And im thinking for an upgrade.
Is RX 550 worth it?
Will that make a big performance boost when i play games?

Solution
Worth is something only YOU can determine.
Likely, yes.

RX550 is a 50w card, the gt1030 is a 30w card.
Either should be ok, even with a minimal psu.

The performance benefit you get will perhaps depend on the types of games you play.
Try this simple test:
Run YOUR games, but lower your resolution and eye candy.
This makes the graphics card loaf a bit.
If your FPS increases, it indicates that your cpu is strong enough to drive a better graphics configuration.
If your FPS stays the same, you are likely more cpu limited.

If/when you upgrade the psu, look only for a high quality unit.
A simple way to tell quality is to look at the warranty. You want a unit with a 7 to 10 year warranty.
Yes, they will be more expensive.
Look...

Lutfij

Titan
What is the make and model of the PSU and it's age? You might want to also parse the cost of the card since there can be people out there who are scalping unsuspecting folks with lower end GPU's.

In a nutshell, it'll be an upgrade over the iGPU...anything above the iGPU(spec's wise) will be an upgrade. The thing to factor in is, at what cost are you trading off for the upgrade?

Nov 8, 2021
What is the make and model of the PSU and it's age? You might want to also parse the cost of the card since there can be people out there who are scalping unsuspecting folks with lower end GPU's.
my PSU is Infinity 400w. Its a young PSU i bought it like 4 month ago. Heres the link

I wantto buy the gpu from my friend, the price is simmilar to GT 1030 that i found. And this RX 550 got 4gb of vram, the price is just 80 dollars

That PSU is 312w in reality which is under ideal conditions. I can't find proper reviews for it which makes it bad just for that.

I would not use it with a dedicated graphics card. It's fine for use with the integrated GPU but if you want to put a discrete one, I would suggest to buy a better one.

Nov 8, 2021
That PSU is 312w in reality which is under ideal conditions. I can't find proper reviews for it which makes it bad just for that.

I would not use it with a dedicated graphics card. It's fine for use with the integrated GPU but if you want to put a discrete one, I would suggest to buy a better one.
I have another budget allocated for a psu buy, around 100 dollars. I find a psu called
"FSP HV PRO 550w" is that real? or is it fake?

Will that make a big performance boost when i play games?
RX550 is about 4 times faster.
my PSU is Infinity 400w. Its a young PSU i bought it like 4 month ago. Heres the link
https://enlight-indonesia.com/product/infinity-striker-400-watts/
Altough it's not a good PSU it will probably hold de <200w power draw of a PC with i3-4150 + RX550.
around 100 dollars. I find a psu called
"FSP HV PRO 550w
Way to expensive.
I don't know your currency but what is Cooler-Master MWe V2 Bronze 450w in $ or €?

Likely, yes.

The performance benefit you get will perhaps depend on the types of games you play.
Try this simple test:
If your FPS increases, it indicates that your cpu is strong enough to drive a better graphics configuration.

A simple way to tell quality is to look at the warranty. You want a unit with a 7 to 10 year warranty.
Look for a 650w unit or larger to be able to handle a future graphics upgrade.
Here is a handy chart for gpu psu requirements:
http://www.realhardtechx.com/index_archivos/Page362.htm

A cheap psu can become expensive if it should fail under load and destroy your parts.
Do not buy one.
Here is one list of psu quality tiers:

Solution
Nov 8, 2021
That PSU is Rp200.000 or around 14 dollars more expensive. FYI, to get Rp200.000 i need to work for 1 whole day as a storekeeper
Likely, yes.

Try this simple test:

Look for a 650w unit or larger to be able to handle a future graphics upgrade.
Here is a handy chart for gpu psu requirements:
http://www.realhardtechx.com/index_archivos/Page362.htm

A cheap psu can become expensive if it should fail under load and destroy your parts.
Do not buy one.
Here is one list of psu quality tiers:
Games that i play/resolution (fps)

GTA V/720p 50% res. scale (32 avg)
Genshin Impact/720p 60% res. scale (34 avg)
CS:GO/720p (60 avg using vsync)
Dota 2/720p (70 avg)
Minecraft/720p (78 avg)
Battlefield 3/720p (44 avg)

I play games in 720p for more fps in a 1080p monitor. My CPU is currently 4th gen i3, and i got 2x8gb of ram, so will an RX 550 boost my performance?

Anyway, thanks for the answer