[SOLVED] Is lga2011 socket dead

G_Sanderat

Honorable
Jan 17, 2017
I recently started to look into and old IBUYPOWER PC that was given to me by a company that someone I know works at. All that i got out of them was that it stopped working and it is de-commissioned.

Specs-
Intel Core i7 3820
GTX 640
16GB ddr3 ram

When I started to look at it after opening it up, the first things I noticed was an unplugged 24-pin cable and a lack of a hard drive. Someone probably tried looking in here to fix it or remove the hard drive for security. No big deal, i got spare hard drives and can throw on some win 10.

part way into the installation the system shut down, I thought this was due to overheating. I planned on switching the liquid cooler out for an air cooler, since I didn't know if that was the issue (I don't very often deal with liquid cooling, so I didn't know if it was faulty.) When taking off the cooler and removing the cpu, I noticed pins were bent and one pin actually seemed to have come out attached to the contact on the cpu it goes to, and I don't believe I had bent them taking the cpu out of socket.

Now my question is if this bent pin could effect the usage of this PC, or if it is not an essential pin and I was right about a bad cooler. Picture of socket included, Pretty sure its a lga2011 socket.

Edit: Forgot to mention that I had looked into what pin those could be. What I cam up with was a PCIEx3 controller. I could be wrong, and dont know if that helps

0425201928.jpg

Solution
You can try to (very carefully) bend those pins back into place. One of our moderators, @USAFRet , is a master at this. Hopefully he'll see this thread and offer some assistance.