Question Is MB Faulty? PSU 2 Clicks stop-PSU PaperClip Pass, got 3.3v,HD attach PSU works - MB attach PSU 2 clicks stops

Aug 3, 2020
MB: D2912-A12
PSU Model: DPS-300AB-44A | S26113-E547-V50-01 (Edited)

I turned on my computer and it was stuck on window screen. I turned it off and on again and heard 2 click sounds and it didn't come back.

I opened Tower Casing and found that my external GC card was out from the PCI port a little. I removed GC and set it back in. I turned on computer but 2 clicks and nothing.

Then I replaced GC with my old card but same result of 2 clicks.

My further investigation is below:

PSU Tests: Disconnected All power cables,

- PaperClick Test : PSU fan tuns on - Works

- Connected 2 HD with PSU, PaperClip. PSU fan works, HD runs - Works

- PSU connector volt: followed a youtube video, used electric meter to test output volt and it appears as 3.3 - As expected

- MB inside Tower casing: disconnected HDs and only connected PSU power cables in MB: 2 Clicks PSU and Stopped

Removed MB from Tower Casing, outside on a box, Power supply is outside as well

- Connected PSU cables with MB only, HD removed, external GC removed, Internal GC , Processor is on board. Two clicks and stops - Didn't Work

Questions from Experts:

Should I run any more tests?

Is MB faulty or Processor?

Thanks for the help in advance

Ali

Last edited:
I think most likely it's a short in the MB....but it could also be the PSU as loading the PSU with HDs isn't the same as loading it with an MB. Also you checked the 3.3V but probably not under load and there are also other voltages that would need to be checked under load to eliminate the PSU.
I tend to not think it's the CPU....as that would be rare in my experience. MBs are much more fragile.

Aug 3, 2020
I think most likely it's a short in the MB....but it could also be the PSU as loading the PSU with HDs isn't the same as loading it with an MB. Also you checked the 3.3V but probably not under load and there are also other voltages that would need to be checked under load to eliminate the PSU.
I tend to not think it's the CPU....as that would be rare in my experience. MBs are much more fragile.

Yes, It was not loaded. I only attached two hard drives with the connectors when i tested.

If you can guide me I can run through more tests to check if PSU is faulty.

Unfortunately, I don't have any other PSU to test MB.

I am confused as What should I buy PSU or MB or both? I have checked both are available on ebay

Yes, It was not loaded. I only attached two hard drives with the connectors when i tested.

I am confused as What should I buy PSU or MB or both? I have checked both are available on ebay
You can check the all the voltages not under load here.

https://www.lifewire.com/how-to-manually-test-a-power-supply-with-a-multimeter-2626158

Checking under load is kind of a pain and it's probably less of a pain to buy a new PSU.

What PSU do you have?

If I tested the PSU like in that link....and the voltages all checked out...I would think it's probably safe to try on a new MB....but if it's a cheap PSU....you may be better off with a new one anyway.

Aug 3, 2020
You can check the all the voltages not under load here.

https://www.lifewire.com/how-to-manually-test-a-power-supply-with-a-multimeter-2626158

Checking under load is kind of a pain and it's probably less of a pain to buy a new PSU.

What PSU do you have?

PSU Model: DPS-300AB-44A

I have ran through test as per this link.

Using PaperClip 24 pin came out as:

All Orange colors: 3.37 or 3.38
All Yellow colors: 11.71 - 11.72
All Red colors: 5.19-5.20
Purple color: 5.16
White: 5.19

However, when I connected 24 pin to MB, PSU fan didn't work so I couldn't run other tests. I checked and there is no output but zero.

Did I do it correctly? What is your observation?

Thanks for the help in advance