Is Microsoft Really Bringing Office Apps to iPad?

Status
Not open for further replies.
G

Microsoft is also actively working on Office 2012 for the Windows platform which is now in beta.

:S

2003 - 2007 - 2010 - 2012... 2013.... 2013 June....... 2013 September...........?

I think I'm gonna stick with 2007 for a while.

amk-aka-Phantom

Distinguished
Mar 10, 2011
[citation][nom]Pazero01[/nom]:S2003 - 2007 - 2010 - 2012... 2013.... 2013 June....... 2013 September...........? I think I'm gonna stick with 2007 for a while.[/citation]

You have a point, but basically MS made a new Office for each OS. XP, Vista, 7 and now this one will be for Win8. Frequent OS release = frequent Office release. Not that it's a good thing, but the reason is clear, at least.

pharge

Distinguished
Feb 23, 2009
[citation][nom]AndrewMD[/nom]I look forward to having Office on my iPad!!![/citation]

A MS powerpoint on iPad can be very useful. I know there are always several ways to work around, but a MS powerpoint for iPad will make everything much easier, specially those business men who do not know much of computers.

nordlead

Distinguished
Aug 3, 2011
[citation][nom]Pazero01[/nom]:S2003 - 2007 - 2010 - 2012... 2013.... 2013 June....... 2013 September...........? I think I'm gonna stick with 2007 for a while.[/citation]
I was running office 2000 up until docx and pptx started to become popular with university professors. Even then I got the converter but it doesn't work that great. I stopped installing Office 2000 on my main PC this year.

Yoder54

Distinguished
Dec 16, 2008
It would be bad business for MS not to provide Office for the OS 10.7 and iOS platforms. For each Apple device that replaces a Windows machine still gives MS the opportunity to capitalize by providing consumer/business applications.

freename

Distinguished
Jun 11, 2009
I guess it depends on how many Windows 8 tablets they want to sell. If there's no exclusive MS Office on their OS it'll be a big selling point gone.

sinfulpotato

Distinguished
Dec 4, 2008
"For Microsoft, iPad support would mean millions of additional people worldwide using Office" I find it hard to believe that the people who own iPads don't already use Microsoft office on other devices.

Yes, it could increase sales of Office, but I doubt you'd see new customers.

getreal

Distinguished
Aug 25, 2010
[citation][nom]sinfulpotato[/nom]"For Microsoft, iPad support would mean millions of additional people worldwide using Office" I find it hard to believe that the people who own iPads don't already use Microsoft office on other devices.Yes, it could increase sales of Office, but I doubt you'd see new customers.[/citation]
That depends. People who use Office at work don't necessarily use it at home. If these people were to buy it for an iPad, they would technically be "new customers".

jhansonxi

Distinguished
May 11, 2007
[citation][nom]pharge[/nom]A MS powerpoint on iPad can be very useful. I know there are always several ways to work around, but a MS powerpoint for iPad will make everything much easier, specially those business men who do not know much of computers.[/citation]Just what we need - portable death by PowerPoint.

Ragnar-Kon

Distinguished
Apr 13, 2010
[citation][nom]jryan388[/nom]how on earth would that be the slightest bit useful? an ipad will never, ever replace a desktop.[/citation]
How would that NOT be useful? If I could take notes in a meeting and email them out without having to worry about re-typing them off my paper that would save me plenty of time. If I could present without having to drag my laptop around that would be great. If I could work on budget sheets while in a meeting and share them with everyone on a projector, I would totally do that.

I don't currently have an iPad, but if Office was release on an iPad I would seriously think about buying one. I don't think the iPad is trying to replace the desktop at all. But it could replace my (and many other people's) laptop. On my desktop I do a billion things with various programs. On my laptop I do Office, email, and the internet. If the iPad had Office, it could easily become my laptop replacement.

To be fair, the iPad wouldn't be an all-in-one laptop replacement for everyone, but for me it could be.

Zetto

Distinguished
Mar 20, 2008

been doing exactly that for 8 yrs now on an IBM X41 tablet, it's still twice the machine a "modern"
tablet is. One Note is the bomb on it....

waethorn

Distinguished
Sep 29, 2009
Sorry, but the rumours are too numerous to count here.

What I predict is a compatible Office Web App version that works on the iPad. Microsoft isn't going to cannabalize sales of their desktop apps that have greater functionality and a higher price. They also don't want to pre-cannabalize sales of Windows 8 tablets by offering features early on the competition's tablets. Any prediction over a minimal secondary application is just the usual truthiness of the blogosphere.

extremepcs

Distinguished
May 6, 2008
Maybe it would be useful with a portable keyboard, but I don't know too many people that would want to type anything of great length on a tablet. Viewing/light editing of Office docs would be nice though but it seems like Office 356 would work for that and be less expensive in a corporate environment.

jezzarisky

Distinguished
Nov 27, 2008
Maybe this'll help drop the price of Microsoft Office on Windows! :p It'd be nice if they released it on the iPhone at the very least.

psiboy

Distinguished
Jun 8, 2007
Powerpoint on iPad would be pointless as the iPad has no hdmi (mini/micro) or vga outputs that I am aware of... can't really see that small screen being remotely useful for presenting to a room full of people....

back_by_demand

Splendid
BANNED
Jul 16, 2009
DONT DO IT!!!
Wait for Windows 8 tablets and push it as the tablet for business, eventually iToy business users will switch camps
If you give the iPad access to Office there will be no reason for business to switch

STravis

Distinguished
Nov 3, 2009
[citation][nom]back_by_demand[/nom]DONT DO IT!!!Wait for Windows 8 tablets and push it as the tablet for business, eventually iToy business users will switch campsIf you give the iPad access to Office there will be no reason for business to switch[/citation]

Unlike you, MS is a business and they will (in most cases) not cut off their nose to spite their face. They will do whatever it takes to make $$$ and right now tar targeting iPad users is a good way to make $$$.

back_by_demand

Splendid
BANNED
Jul 16, 2009
[citation][nom]STravis[/nom]Unlike you, MS is a business and they will (in most cases) not cut off their nose to spite their face. They will do whatever it takes to make $$$ and right now tar targeting iPad users is a good way to make $$$.[/citation]
MS doesn't need the money that badly in the short term and giving Office to iPad users will hurt them more long term as there will be no incentive to buy a Windows tablet.
MS needs to go back to playing the long game.

Status
Not open for further replies.