[SOLVED] Is msi gtx1660ti ventus xs card compatible with the heatsink of the msi gtx1660 ti gaming x?

Sep 17, 2021
It might be an unnecessary modding for me, because the temps are fine, but it always bugged me, that two memory chips can not have proper contact with the stock heatsink on the ventus xs and there is no space to intsall mini heatsinks on it. So I thought why not change the entire heatsink for the gaming x version of the card. Is it possible?

Solution
It might be an unnecessary modding for me, because the temps are fine, but it always bugged me, that two memory chips can not have proper contact with the stock heatsink on the ventus xs and there is no space to intsall mini heatsinks on it. So I thought why not change the entire heatsink for the gaming x version of the card. Is it possible?
Well they are the same gpu so they definitely have the same mounting holes. The only problem is how long is the fan header cable, will the fan header able to reach into the fan connector? If it doesnt fit or unable to reach the fan connector you might want to cut an extra cable of the old heatsink and solder that cable to the new heatsink.
The only way to know if it fits or not is to just...

Giant Hunger

Respectable
Jun 23, 2021
Well they are the same gpu so they definitely have the same mounting holes. The only problem is how long is the fan header cable, will the fan header able to reach into the fan connector? If it doesnt fit or unable to reach the fan connector you might want to cut an extra cable of the old heatsink and solder that cable to the new heatsink.
The only way to know if it fits or not is to just try it out, it wont harm your gpu as long as you know what your doing.

Reactions: thediszkman
Solution
Sep 17, 2021
The only way to know if it fits or not is to just try it out, it wont harm your gpu as long as you know what your doing.

Thank you! My only concern was the mounting holes' position. i've just ordered the heatsink and I'll update if it works and how well it works.

Sep 17, 2021
I still have a question tho. Why dont you just sell your 1660ti and buy the 1660ti gaming x?
In Hungary the gpu supplies are really bad and new cards cost like double the msrp, I do not want to order out of EU, because of the new taxing regulations, and on the used market there is no better card then 1050ti. And also i always love to tinker around with things that are already fine and I just think they could be better.