Is my 290x done?

Thanhnam Pham

Reputable
Aug 14, 2015
I have a HIS r9 290x and having some massive issues with it, it runs 100% gpu load idle, green artifacts, crashing black screens. Fresh windows installed. I checked the load from gpu-z and msi afterburner. Temps are stable 50-60c idle. NO malware or virus or even any weird apps running in task manager, i've also tried process explorer and nothing. The thing is i heard it might havebeen bad OC and some guy rank furmark to reset it, I did that and it actually worked no load everything stable, no artifacts, but then i resetted my computer and it did it again. Tried furmark again and no work that time. update bios too for it and msi changed to force constant voltage and disabled ulps

Pc specs:
Cpu - amd 8320
Psu: Rosewill Capstone series 650w
Ram: ripjaws 12800 running at 1600mhz

jerdle

Admirable
Artifacts are indicative of the card being pushed too far - if it's still doing it after being restored to its default settings on a fresh installation of windows, it seems likely it was damaged by an overaggressive overclock.

gwapito

Reputable
Sep 18, 2014

Temps are stable 50-60c idle
-thats way too high for idling temp. 40'ish is ok but pass 50 in idling is too hot. FYI, all my gpus(overlocked) never exceeded 40 in idle. How about temp in gaming?

Check and clean the fans. If you've been running your 290x this hot for a long time, then it must have been damage. Reset it to default setting using HIS software. Try to bring down the temp

Thanhnam Pham

Reputable
Aug 14, 2015
I cant even play games as it constantly crashes, black screen. 100% gpu load wont let me do much. it starts at 40-45c then goes up when I try to use chrome and it crashes like crazy. Sometimes I get artifacts on bios screen, sometimes I dont. The card itself is in fantastic condition. Fans are super clean. running blower type fan also.

GObonzo

Distinguished
Apr 5, 2011
yes, anything over 40° at idle is way too hot. it also should not be at 100% unless under heavy use. appears something is using your GPU and it sounds like miner malware from just those symptoms.
the fact that you're getting artifacts and black screens could also be the extra stress from the miners while gaming.

i would run Malwarebytes Anti-Malware full system scan first to see if it turns up those miners. they will disguise themselves as common Windows or other drivers and imbed themselves in other programs folders when they get installed, often hard to detect on your own.

if you can't find any way to reset to default speeds, use Afterburner or something similar to set it to 1000MHz core and 1300MHz memory.

Thanhnam Pham

Reputable
Aug 14, 2015
This is on a fresh OS windows 7 install, it is not a malware as I said before, I looked on process explorer and gpu is not being used by anything. Could it be that maybe it can be overheating? Should I try to change the thermal compound or get a aftermarketcooler? Even If I did it doesn't explain the 100% gpu usage?

GObonzo

Distinguished
Apr 5, 2011
you already stated it was at 100% GPU load at idle, that means it is being used. 100% usage. and the only known thing to do that is either you gaming, video streaming or transcoding, or a coin miner running in the background. as i stated, they are hard to detect unless you know the specific process you are looking for. they do not just exclaim "Malware" in task manager. and as i also stated, their processes are often disguised as regular Window's and other known program's.

if you remove the cards shroud you will totally void any warranty from the place purchased and the manufacturer. and heat does not make the GPU's load go up. changing the thermal compound will not solve the artifacts or the load issue.

you say "fresh" install. so you've installed no games, no programs, no other drivers at all?

Thanhnam Pham

Reputable
Aug 14, 2015
Yes the other thing after the Os is drivers, the latest amd drivers and computer drivers. thats it. I put in my radeon 7970 and it does not got to 100% idle nothing its at 0% Normal nothing out of ordinary.

GObonzo

Distinguished
Apr 5, 2011
would just say it's a bad card then. had an older nvidia that had pink artifacts all over in-game and it smelled bad when running. they were quick to refund. always been lucky with AMD\ATI cards though. sucks.
if it's still under warranty i would definitely get an exchange or refund. has it been doing this from the beginning?

GObonzo

Distinguished
Apr 5, 2011

shit! go through em all til you get 2 good ones and fire em up in Crossfire.
of course could be a box of discarded returned cards though.