[SOLVED] Is my amd fx 8350 cpu overheating?

B3nji_

Prominent
Aug 11, 2019
i'm not sure but i think my cpu might be overheating. When i open certain games, before i could get to the menu, my pc turns off (no blue screen or anything).
But if i play a game that doesn't turn off my Pc it gets pretty hot: 55°C on average. All my fans are working correctly, i just bought the components so no dust and i do not overclock. On my desktop with no programs running my pc can reach temperatures up to 40°C (i fixed this with some windows power options, it now reaches 25°C without any heavy programs running). However, when i open games that turns off my computer, it gets up to 50°C and THEN crashes, even if it had reached higher temperatures before. Or maybe it's a bug of the temperature measurer im using (Core Temp). If you know any answers i would appreciate it wery much

My setup:
CPU: amd fx 8350
CPU Cooler: i use the cooler that came with the CPU
MotherBoard: gigabyte 78LMT-USB3 R2
Power Supply: Mars Gaming MPII550
Case: Itek ITGCSA02

Solution
i will try changing the supply asap. Any good ones you suggest (that obviously doesn't cost a lot)

The Corsair CX 550 is probably the least expensive PSU worth buying.

There's also a possibility that your VRMs are a good deal hotter than the CPU temperature. While your motherboard technically supports 125W CPUs, budget AM3+ motherboards are notorious for having issues with running them long-term. Your hardware isn't young and if you still have issues after the PSU -- your current one is definitely junk -- it may be time in your PC's life to dial back your 8350 to 8320E clockspeeds, treating the CPU more like a 95W CPU.

B3nji_

Prominent
Aug 11, 2019
The PC switching off like that, means it's the PSU for me. Your PSU is a piece of junk. I'd look at changing it asap. I would also consider not running the machine again, untill you replace the PSU, as it 'could' burn out some other components.

Your CPU temps are fine.
i will try changing the supply asap. Any good ones you suggest (that obviously doesn't cost a lot)

DSzymborski

Curmudgeon Pursuivant

The Corsair CX 550 is probably the least expensive PSU worth buying.

There's also a possibility that your VRMs are a good deal hotter than the CPU temperature. While your motherboard technically supports 125W CPUs, budget AM3+ motherboards are notorious for having issues with running them long-term. Your hardware isn't young and if you still have issues after the PSU -- your current one is definitely junk -- it may be time in your PC's life to dial back your 8350 to 8320E clockspeeds, treating the CPU more like a 95W CPU.

Reactions: B3nji_
Solution