Is my BIOS corrupted?

Wurfenking

Prominent
Jun 29, 2017
Hello,
So I was using my PC yesterday (browsing the web) and it crashed with a pure black screen. I ignored it.
Today again as I was watching a video, the PC crashed and on trying to reboot gave me the 3 tone beep on power on indicating RAM issues. So I plugged the RAM stick in a different port and it started up fine. Now again the PC crashed and on trying to reboot it gave me this screen
7TE552R.jpg

And now it fails to boot into Windows. Is my mobo dying/dead?

Edit: Forgot to mention my specs
Motherboard: Gigabyte 970A - DS3
FX 6100
Hd 7770
HyperX Blu 8gb
WD 2TB

Solution
Means your memory looks good. If not it would show errors.

This may be a longshot but if you can get in to the BIOS, try flashing it. Even if there's no newer version of the BIOS available, just re-flash it with the same version. If there's a newer version I'd flash with that of course.

marko55

Honorable
Nov 29, 2015
That's fine. Download memtest from passmark.com, the one that can extract straight to a bootable USB thumb drive. Grab a thumb drive (empty one that can be wiped out), plug it in to some other computer where you pulled memtest down, and run the memtest installer. It will format and install to the thumb drive and make it bootable. Then put the thumb in the broken computer, boot, and press F11 (most likely) to get the boot override menu and boot to the USB thumb drive. You don't need to touch anything when it boots to the thumb. Within a few seconds it will just start running a memory test. If it shows there's errors on your RAM then your RAM stick is bad.

Wurfenking

Prominent
Jun 29, 2017
@marko55 Thanks for your reply. I don't have a spare PC ATM, but I shall try your method. However, one thing that bothers me is trying to find the right boot source. I guess I can keep retrying different combinations of down arrow and enter. Thanks again, not only for the reply, but also for the possibility that this could be a cheaper problem than it would've been.

marko55

Honorable
Nov 29, 2015
Alternatively you could just buy another of the same RAM stick & try the new RAM stick all by itself. If that fixes it you know your other DIMM is bad. If that doesn't fix it, if nothing else, now you've got a memory upgrade since you've got two DIMMs now (or you return the new DIMM).

marko55

Honorable
Nov 29, 2015
Means your memory looks good. If not it would show errors.

This may be a longshot but if you can get in to the BIOS, try flashing it. Even if there's no newer version of the BIOS available, just re-flash it with the same version. If there's a newer version I'd flash with that of course.

Solution