Question Is my brand new HDD supposed to beep?

xxmlgdewxx420

Reputable
Aug 14, 2017
I bought a 2TB Seagate ST2000DM008 drive, plugged it in with a generic molex-sata adapter because my pre-built PC's PSU (which is 500w) only has 2 sata power connectors. The hard drive keeps making beeping noises (I'm sure that it's the hard drive, there are no beeps when I remove it), but it formatted fine. I used CrystalDiskInfo (causes beeps when I run it) and I tested the drive with SeaTools Short Generic, Short DST and S.M.A.R.T. tests, all came up fine (but it did beep twice near the end of the Short DST test and once during the 3rd part of the Short Generic test), so I don't think the drive is broken.

I copied two games onto the HDD as another test, played for a few minutes, made a text document on the HDD, tried downloading a file onto it, none of those things produced any beeps. Is there something wrong with the molex-sata adapter, idk what else could be going on here? Btw, I got no power hungry CPU nor GPU, just a Ryzen 3200G with it's Vega 8 iGPU. Also, I got 16GB Corsair Vengeance LPX 2666MHz RAM, Kingston SA400S37240G 240GB SSD, HP MB0500GCEHE 500GB HDD and Biostar A320MH mobo (never did any BIOS updates).

xxmlgdewxx420

Reputable
Aug 14, 2017
Have you tried swapping it out with the other hd or a different port to see if the beeping continues? It could be a bad data cable to the hd. Also check the exhaust ports of hd make sure it dosn't have any obstructions or dust in it.
I'll try it later.

Edit: Tried putting the cable in a different slot in the motherboard, still beeps. Took out the 500GB HP HDD and put the problematic Seagate 2TB HDD in it's place, (made sure that the cables are connected right) and the thing still beeps, yet it passes all the tests I mentioned in my original post, what gives? Is it really supposed to beep ? Btw, this thing seems to mostly beep on spin up and spin down, as well as during the three SeaTools tests I mentioned and occasionally when opening CrystalDiskInfo (and it beeps a lot on this last one).

Last edited:

system100m

Distinguished
Apr 16, 2014
Don't waste your time and get it replaced. I recently had a similar issue with a WD Blue 4TB (see my other thread). WD confirmed it was defective.

In my 35 years handling computers I've never had any case of a HD being DOA, and here I had two brand new WD being defective out of the box. Now I see Seagate isn't very reliable as well. What's going on with HDD recently?