Is my BSOD a motherboard problem?

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

ffooby

Honorable
Sep 3, 2012
So, I reinstalled windows again, sticking it on the usb according to that video. I get on, and I have my graphics card plugged in this time. I download the driver for the graphics card. I update windows experience index since I've been using it as a sort of "test" in the beginning, and it crashed before I even bothered with any windows updates or anything else.

Am I stupid to base anything off of crashing on WEI or should I just never crash on that to begin with? The problem can't necessarily just be my graphics card, as like I said, I've crashed plenty without it.

ffooby

Honorable
Sep 3, 2012
BIOS is f9 out of the box. I've reinstalled windows almost a handful of times now; one of the times I reinstalled it without the graphics card in, I ran the WEI and it went through fine, but then later on I crashed on the windows update for the .net framework.

Edit: Misread what you said, I'll give it a shot. But even if it doesn't crash, I'm not sure what to glean from that if it's still crashing without the gpu.

ffooby

Honorable
Sep 3, 2012
Tried to run WEI before I took out my gpu. It crashed a little under midway through, during something called the direct 3d ALU assessment. Took out the gpu, tried running the WEI again, and it crashed but gave me an error I never saw before. It stopped during the part where it was testing my storage, my harddrive I guess. It said the kernel logger was in use by another program or something to that effect; I didn't have time to read it because a few seconds later my computer blue screened.

Edit: It crashes on the part where it analyzes the cpu as well so I guess it doesn't matter as much to be exact with where it crashes during the WEI.

ffooby

Honorable
Sep 3, 2012
Jaquith! It's solved. It was an improperly installed cpu heatsink/fan. It was running too hot, I just didn't realize the temperatures were wrong/too high because I've never monitored temperatures before. Reseated the fan and put a little more thermal paste in, and there are no more crashes.

Thank you a ton for your responses and for trying to help.

ASK THE COMMUNITY

TRENDING THREADS