[SOLVED] Is my "Budget Build" worth upgrading, or should I build a whole new rig?

RonKorakas

Commendable
Aug 20, 2020
Hello.

This is more of an opinion question, than something objective.
So, I built a "Budget Build", which was only meant to be used for Emulators and Small, simple games. The plan was to build one for about 500 or so, for this purpose, and then, if I decided I wanted to play newer, more demanding games, I would build a separate, serious "high/mid high end" rig.

I got some really good deals. I bought the coveted 5 1600AF for $85 (which, as of this writing, is sitting at $225.00 on Amazon.
I bought a B450 M Motherboard for $95
And I got 16G of DDR4 RAM - 3200 CL 16

The problem, I suppose, is that looking at prices now, for say a B550 Motherboard, and maybe looking at a 5 3600XT,...for an extra $30 for a Motherboard, and for an extra $100 for the new CPU, it sounds like a reasonable deal to upgrade it and just have a Mid Tier Rig for all purposes, instead of leaving this one as "Budget/Low Tier", and then building a separate rig for "High/Mid High End" gaming.

I don't want to get rid of the 1600AF,purely because of how good of a deal I got, and how expensive they became right after. Like, I feel like I struck gold with that purchase.
My ram, I think , is good enough that it would work for both purposes well.
And the current motherboard I have is fine, but I know if I wanted to upgrade the CPU, I'd probably have to get a B550 (though I think I did read somewhere that b450s are going to be supporting zen3).

Do you think that, because I have the 1600af and got it for $85, that it's too valuable to give it up? Or the complete opposite, and I should take advantage of the fact that the price skyrocketed that I should sell it for profit, and get a 3600 and upgrade the rest of the rig??

For those of you that have multiple builds, or anyone that might have an opinion on this - is it worth having a super cheap Budget Build AND a Higher End separate Build? Or would you rather have something in the middle that accomplishes both purposes without breaking the bank?

P.S. Money is not an issue with me at all. I'm purely mentioning about the monetary worth because of it's relevant to the value of a build in general.

Thanks for your help.

-Ron

Solution
Hello.

So, I built a "Budget Build", which was only meant to be used for Emulators and Small, simple games. The plan was to build one for about 500 or so, for this purpose, and then, if I decided I wanted to play newer, more demanding games, I would build a separate, serious "high/mid high end" rig.

I got some really good deals. I bought the coveted 5 1600AF for $85 (which, as of this writing, is sitting at $225.00 on Amazon.

The problem, I suppose, is that looking at prices now, for say a B550 Motherboard, and maybe looking at a 5 3600XT,...for an extra $30 for a Motherboard, and for an...
Hello.

The problem, I suppose, is that looking at prices now, for say a B550 Motherboard, and maybe looking at a 5 3600XT,...for an extra $30 for a Motherboard, and for an extra $100 for the new CPU, it sounds like a reasonable deal to upgrade it and just have a Mid Tier Rig for all purposes, instead of leaving this one as "Budget/Low Tier", and then building a separate rig for "High/Mid High End" gaming.

I don't want to get rid of the 1600AF,purely because of how good of a deal I got, and how expensive they became right after. Like, I feel like I struck gold with that purchase.
My ram, I think , is good enough that it would work for both purposes well.
And the current motherboard I have is fine, but I know if I wanted to upgrade the CPU, I'd probably have to get a B550 (though I think I did read somewhere that b450s are going to be supporting zen3).

Do you think that, because I have the 1600af and got it for $85, that it's too valuable to give it up? Or the complete opposite, and I should take advantage of the fact that the price skyrocketed that I should sell it for profit, and get a 3600 and upgrade the rest of the rig??

For those of you that have multiple builds, or anyone that might have an opinion on this - is it worth having a super cheap Budget Build AND a Higher End separate Build? Or would you rather have something in the middle that accomplishes both purposes without breaking the bank?

P.S. Money is not an issue with me at all. I'm purely mentioning about the monetary worth because of it's relevant to the value of a build in general.

Thanks for your help.

-Ron
a 1600af is a ryzen 5 2600 that lost the sillicon lottery and couldn't meet the standards that it should've met.
Don't expect to hit the lottery by selling it lol. Just upgrade the gpu to an rx 580/gtx 1060 or better and it could easily game 1080p 60+fps even 1440p 60fps with tweaked settings. No point wasting your money when you already have something that's good and has great potential. That cpu can support an rtx 2060, no point buying a new one yet.

Solution

SH Gaming

Reputable
Oct 2, 2020
I agree. I basically have the exact same build and with overclocking and with my rx580 I can run pretty darn well FPS in Warzone and even Fortnite. I have a 2600 for my CPU with an AIO and it is abused by my gaming and streaming. The processor you have is still a great processor. Just a GPU upgrade would be needed.