[SOLVED] Is my build still viable for gaming?

Deffbee

Reputable
Jan 17, 2016
My Current Build:
Mobo: Gigabyte 68X-Ud3H-B3
CPU: Intel i7 2600K 3.4
Memory: 16GB DDR3 1333
GPU: Two Geforce GTX 950s
Power Supply: 750W

Hi I'm Dwayne long time reader, first time question asker.
I built this back in 2012 and the only additions I've made to it since, was some additional RAM, the GPUs, and SSD drives. I was considering doing a brand new build because my CPU is about 8 years old and upgrading it would require a new motherboard, and it may not be that great for this current generation of gaming and the next. But honestly I want to get as much use out of this PC as possible and save money. So I'm looking for some advice, should I opt for the brand new build or are there small additions that can be made?

Solution
Yeah, I wouldn't put any more money into that system. Use it as long as you want to save up for your new system. For newer games, check to see if they support SLI. Otherwise, I'd probably remove one of the 950s.

-Wolf sends
My Current Build:

I built this back in 2012 and the only additions I've made to it since, was some additional RAM, the GPUs, and SSD drives. I was considering doing a brand new build because my CPU is about 8 years old and upgrading it would require a new motherboard, and it may not be that great for this current generation of gaming and the next. But honestly I want to get as much use out of this PC as possible and save money. So I'm looking for some advice, should I opt for the brand new build or are there small additions that can be made?
Depends what you want to play. Anything new the CPU will struggle and the GPUs will not fly now. Multi GPU is dead. What I’d do is swap the GPU for something more fitting to the resolution you want, see how it goes and if you’re not getting the performance you want you’ll need a new CPU, board and RAM. Also check the PSU is ok.

ern88

Distinguished
Jun 8, 2009
My Current Build:

Your PC is really long in the tooth for gaming. I hate to say it. But it's time to ditch that badly aged hardware.

Deffbee

Reputable
Jan 17, 2016
Yeah, I wouldn't put any more money into that system. Use it as long as you want to save up for your new system. For newer games, check to see if they support SLI. Otherwise, I'd probably remove one of the 950s.

-Wolf sends
Any suggestions on what to replace the 950 with? I feel like whatever GPU worth getting would be bottlenecked because of the processor.

Wolfshadw

Titan
Just keep using it until you can get one with your new system or you could get one now with the understanding that you won't be able to use it to it's full potential until you finish the rebuild. In that case, it's just up to your budget.

-Wolf sends

pinky33

Distinguished
Jan 22, 2009
That processor although old is great. I have a 1080 paired with it. Started with 7950 3gb, then RX 580, then r9 290x, and now 1080.

So many video card upgrades because I am lucky to get hand me downs from friends. I saw huge improvements with the move to a 1080 from a RX580. Much smoother. Yes my CPU is still a bottle neck, but it was a free 1080.

Those 950's are your bottle neck and not your processor.

If I where you I would sell each 950 for $40-50 each and use that money to buy a 1070 or 1080.

FYI my overclock of 4.8Ghz does help a bit.