Is my Components temperatures okay?

rjjgallagher

Reputable
Jul 11, 2015
I am here to ask about temperatures of my components because I have no idea whats good and whats not when it comes to the temperatures to the cpu, gpu, etc. I bought pre-built awhile ago and didnt have any knowledge of computers back then and just wanted to quickly buy one and set it up and play games with friends.

I got rid of the pre-built and harvested some of the old components into my new system that I just got done building last night. I never really payed any attention to the temperatures with the pre-built system because I didn't think I would need to. Now I am kind of like scared to play any hardcore games like Arma or something that takes a lot of juice because of my components temperatures.

Current Specs:

CPU: Intel Core i7 4790S @ 3.2GHz
which gets temps of low/mid 30s at idle/internet browsing and last night testing Arma with the new system it reached mid to high 60s (as in Celsius just to clarify if need be.)

RAM: 12GB Dual-Channel DDR3 @ 799 MHz
I harvested this RAM from the pre-built to save some cash instead of buying all the parts brand new.

Motherboard: Asus Sabertooth Z87
running at 28C basically no matter what im doing

GPU: AMD Radeon R9 290x Black Edition
runs at mid to high 30s at idle/internet browsing and low to mid 50s when gaming.

Storage: 2TB Toshiba DT01ACA200
runs at 28C I think all the time. Honestly havent been paying much attention to these temps for my storage.

Just wondering if these temps are safe and if I should upgrade cooling too. Although I now know the basic mechanics of a PC and how to build one, I just dont know all the information that is out there about PC's and I came here for hopefully your guys's help! :) Thanks!

Probably should include my CPU fan so...
CPU Fan: Cooler Master Vortex Plus.

If also you could let me know if this fan is even good and what is it meant for, like can I overclock one day with it? I know I cant with the i7 S series but yeah you get the idea. I bought it after I bought my pre-built one because someone told me that stock heat sink fans are garbage. Just also curious if this fan is even good.

Solution

Yeah, not as much as the 212 EVO though. Say 400 mHz at most is safe. Re-applying the thermal paste in a pea shape and size is a good way to apply the thermal paste. Don't use too much thermal paste, as it will make it hotter.

rjjgallagher

Reputable
Jul 11, 2015

Do you know much about the Cooler Master Vortex Plus? Thats the aftermarket air cooling fan that I am using for the CPU. Is it any good? Will I be able to overclock in the future with it?

IAmTheTofu

Honorable
Sep 20, 2014

Yeah, not as much as the 212 EVO though. Say 400 mHz at most is safe. Re-applying the thermal paste in a pea shape and size is a good way to apply the thermal paste. Don't use too much thermal paste, as it will make it hotter.

Solution

rjjgallagher

Reputable
Jul 11, 2015

Yeah some of my friends said the cooler that I have, the Cooler Master Vortex Plus, absolutely sucks for what I want to be doing. They then recommended me to buy the Hyper 212 Evo so yeah thats exactly what I did. I also think the high temps on the CPU could've been because of my noobness of wanting and feeling like more thermal paste is better. I think I put a lot more than I should've and I now know better. So, thank you very much for your advice, much appreciated!! :)

IAmTheTofu

Honorable
Sep 20, 2014

No problem, actually, more thermal paste isn't always better. The best way to apply it is to put a pea-sized dot in the middle of the CPU.