[SOLVED] Is my CPU a fake or what ?

Karadjgne

Titan
Ambassador
You have a HP pre-built? Your bios version can differ from aftermarket as HP, Dell etc don't use standard aftermarket bios, they use custom built bios, so you'd need to know which HP bios supports your processor, not the standard aftermarket Asus bios version.

For that, you'd need the model specific version as it's bios will also differ from other models. And you must use only the HP bios, not Asus bios, or it can do stupid stuff like invalidate your copy of Windows or void any HP warranty.

Jan 10, 2023
You have a HP pre-built? Your bios version can differ from aftermarket as HP, Dell etc don't use standard aftermarket bios, they use custom built bios, so you'd need to know which HP bios supports your processor, not the standard aftermarket Asus bios version.

For that, you'd need the model specific version as it's bios will also differ from other models. And you must use only the HP bios, not Asus bios, or it can do stupid stuff like invalidate your copy of Windows or void any HP warranty.

No its not an hp prebuild

Jan 10, 2023
Everything looks fine.
Many boards will boot with unsupported processors. But will reboot/blue screen randomly in windows.
Processors have small defects or errata that bios updates address.
Best to update the bios for your new processor.
I see alot of people saying that the exact model of motherboard does not even boot with the old bios with ryzen5 5600x let alone the ryzen 5 5600 which is newer

Jan 10, 2023
Fair enough, that works too.
Is there anything that can rename a processor like for example renaming a ryzen 5 3600 to ryzen 5 5600 because i got my processor really cheap for like 130 usd and that bios thing. I don't mean a fake processor like selling a refabriced product. Is that even possible?

Karadjgne

Titan
Ambassador
Rename, yes. If you are Intel. Or AMD. They hold those secrets closer than the CIA. The basic firmware, including the cpu descriptors, requires specialized equipment and programming, which isn't available to the general public.

You can crack a bios, if you know how, and can program it to say anything, but that's on the motherboard, not the cpu. So it's really only done to gpus where the chip and pcb are a single unit.

As far as the bios version goes, that's entirely on the motherboard, got nothing to do with the cpu.

And there are ppl who sell products under valued. They are after a quick sale, not a long term wait to get the extra $. When you have 30 ppl all trying to sell a cpu for $200, and a brand new cpu is $230, and someone puts up a bid for $130, it's going to sell fast, and first.

I sell stuff all the time on game market like that, buy it too. Small profits add up quick guaranteed, large paydays are a gamble.

Reactions: Sus192
Jan 10, 2023
Rename, yes. If you are Intel. Or AMD. They hold those secrets closer than the CIA. The basic firmware, including the cpu descriptors, requires specialized equipment and programming, which isn't available to the general public.

You can crack a bios, if you know how, and can program it to say anything, but that's on the motherboard, not the cpu. So it's really only done to gpus where the chip and pcb are a single unit.

As far as the bios version goes, that's entirely on the motherboard, got nothing to do with the cpu.

And there are ppl who sell products under valued. They are after a quick sale, not a long term wait to get the extra $. When you have 30 ppl all trying to sell a cpu for $200, and a brand new cpu is $230, and someone puts up a bid for $130, it's going to sell fast, and first.

I sell stuff all the time on game market like that, buy it too. Small profits add up quick guaranteed, large paydays are a gamble.
Oh thanks for the reply. I could check the cpu serial number on amd site and it says it's genuine but is there anyway to check the actual cpu that is mounted into the motherboard to have the same serial number without removing the cooler or at least to have the same specs as any r5 5600 unit with any program that detects the specs. Could cpu z tell if it has been renamed?

Is there anything that can rename a processor like for example renaming a ryzen 5 3600 to ryzen 5 5600 because i got my processor really cheap for like 130 usd and that bios thing. I don't mean a fake processor like selling a refabriced product. Is that even possible?
130 USD isn't that cheap as the prices of these CPU's has dropped recently. In terms of the CPU name changing, I've heard of this with GPU's but I've never seen it with a CPU.

I find it highly unlikely that the CPU isn't genuine at this point, you could run something like Cinebench R23 and see what score it gets. You'd soon know if it was an older CPU.

DSzymborski

Curmudgeon Pursuivant
Yeah, while there are counterfeit CPUs, they typically simply won't run. You'd basically need a CPU to work in a Ryzen motherboard, which means it's going to have to be something Zen 3 and it wouldn't make sense to counterfeit the second least-expensive Zen 3 CPU. If it could be convincingly done, you'd prefer to start with a 5500 or 5600 and disguise it as a 5900X or 5950X.

Karadjgne

Titan
Ambassador
Yeah, while there are counterfeit CPUs, they typically simply won't run. You'd basically need a CPU to work in a Ryzen motherboard, which means it's going to have to be something Zen 3 and it wouldn't make sense to counterfeit the second least-expensive Zen 3 CPU. If it could be convincingly done, you'd prefer to start with a 5500 or 5600 and disguise it as a 5900X or 5950X.
Which is why you should Never buy a cpu/motherboard combo. The cpu could easily be a 5500/5600 but the motherboard can be bios hacked to read it as a 5900x. Buying seperates, that's impossible.