Question Is my cpu bottlenecking my gpu or is my gpu broken, or what may be wrong?

Aug 13, 2022
Hello, i have this problem were i bought a new rtx 3060 ti gigabyte eagle oc and for some reason i dont get much more fps then with my old gpu gtx 1070 asus rog strix oc.
i thought of bottleneck but im not sure,
My pc specs are:
Motherboard: Asus tuf b450m plus gaming
CPU: ryzen 7 2700x
Ram: teamforce 2x8gb 3200mhz
gpu: rtx 3060 ti eagle oc
psu: evga 850w 80+ gold fully modular
ssd: xpg gammix s11 pro 1tb
ssd: apacer as350 512gb

EDIT: benchmarks of Horizon zero dawn, everything ultra, but clouds medium.
before DDU
unknown.png

afted DDU
unknown.png

With gtx 1070
unknown.png

Last edited:
Hello, i have this problem were i bought a new rtx 3060 ti gigabyte eagle oc and for some reason i dont get much more fps then with my old gpu gtx 1070 asus rog strix oc.
My pc specs are:
So hold up are you only running in full 8gbs of ram or are your ram sticks 8gb each, if your only running 8gb of ram that's most likely your issue even only 16gbs of ram can be a problem with these cards depending on what your doing with them

My pc specs are:
Technically your CPU and GPU should get along perfectlyots the minimum recommend match for eachother to me this seems like a internal error with drivers or something similar

boju

Titan
Ambassador
What about graphically? 3060ti should perform much better upping the details compared to 1070. Before changing gpus, did you run a benchmark of some kind like built in game benchmark and put everything on highest details? Farcry 6 or Ghost Recon WL for example have built in benchmark and writing/take photo of results to compare.

If games you play are easily high frame rate titles then you're at the mercy of what the cpu is able to provide the gpu. You'll see higher gains with minimum fps from 5 series Ryzen due to much improved design. 2nd gen Ryzen is still very good for gaming, just don't expect too much more fps from faster gpus.

If you still have the 1070 then compare using games and settings more demanding on gpu and then compare that way so you can see the difference better.

And make sure your ram is running at 3200 because xmp isn't an automatic thing and needs to be set in bios. Verify with cpuz under memory tab. Frequency should read 1600MHz , true effective speed not accounting for double data rate.

Last edited:
Aug 13, 2022
So hold up are you only running in full 8gbs of ram or are your ram sticks 8gb each, if your only running 8gb of ram that's most likely your issue even only 16gbs of ram can be a problem with these cards depending on what your doing with them
I'm running 2 sticks of 8gb ram at 3200mhz and im gaming

Aug 13, 2022
What about graphically? 3060ti should perform much better upping the details compared to 1070. Before changing gpus, did you run a benchmark of some kind like built in game benchmark and put everything on highest details? Farcry 6 or Ghost Recon WL for example have built in benchmark and writing/take photo of results to compare.

If games you play are easily high frame rate titles then you're at the mercy of what the cpu is able to provide the gpu. You'll see higher gains with minimum fps from 5 series Ryzen due to much improved design. 2nd gen Ryzen is still very good for gaming, just don't expect too much more fps from faster gpus.

If you still have the 1070 then compare using games and settings more demanding on gpu and then compare that way so you can see the difference better.

And make sure your ram is running at 3200 because xmp isn't an automatic thing and needs to be set in bios. Verify with cpuz under memory tab. Frequency should read 1600MHz , true effective speed not accounting for double data rate.
just added the pictures of benchmarks and im sure that my ram is at 3200 cuz bios says that it is and also task manager... but if i understand you correctly then i still have some kind of bottleneck right? Since looking from online benchmarks with my cpu and gpu i should be getting a little better performance right?

boju

Titan
Ambassador
Results in your op shows significant gains from 3060ti, 45+ fps. Which is about right. Average fps is result of 2700x, just can't give more. Upgrade to 5 series and that'll change. People upgrading from 3 series see significant minimum fps as well resulting in higher averages.

Reactions: white.a.drew
Aug 13, 2022
Results in your op shows significant gains from 3060ti, 45+ fps. Which is about right. Average fps is result of 2700x, just can't give more. Upgrade to 5 series and that'll change. People upgrading from 3 series see significant minimum fps as well resulting in higher averages.
okay, well i was thinking about upgrading to 7 series since then i can also buy new ram and new motherboard which i think is better then buying 5 series rn