Jexta

Honorable
May 9, 2013
Hello. I have a rather old computer i built myself about 5-6 years ago with an i5-4670k. My last GPU recently died on me so i bought a MSI RTX 2070 gaming X GPU and i had gotten the new Call of Duty Modern Warfare free with the purchase.

After having attempted to play it there is some graphical glitches at certain points and the game keeps closing itself out. I wish toms hardware had the ability to link screenshots on these threads so i could show you the coretemp/task manager shot but unfortunately i cant....

anyway task manager had my CPU red at 100% with the game itself having a 93% next to it. and my core temp window showed the "load" under all 4 of my cores at 100% during loadings and high 80's and 90's during gameplay.

Looking up the games minimum requirements it seems a 4 core processor should be sufficient. I had 16gb of RAM and the percentage of memory used on the task manager during this heavy cpu load was only about 30-40% so that seems like it was fine.

Then the GPU is the MSI RTX 2070 gaming X

Windows 10 64-bit all that stuff.

Basically my question is does this mean my CPU is going bad, or is a 4 core simply not sufficient for this new game? the i5-4670k is still on the market and is still like 200-300 bucks so i figure the CPU isn't ancient and outdated.

If it is bad or 4 cores is now trash for new age gaming how many should i look into getting? 8? 16?

Thanks for any and all comments :)

atljsf

Honorable
BANNED
graphical corruption can sometimes be caused by damaged files on hard disk, other times can be caused by bad ram modules, other times is the gpu itself

check first if the game needs patches because sometimes is the game what is the problem, not the pc

also check game integrity to discard corrupted files

discard a damaged hard disk by runing a checkdisk on that pc hard disk

rookieGamer

Honorable
May 16, 2017
no, nothing wrong with your CPU, it is running hot though see if you can do something about that.
yes your CPU is old but not that old you can still use it for another 2years.

lot of things could cause a game to crash and most of the time its the software, something in game settings, game didnt install properly missing some files for GPU drivers or some software which game need. quick google the symptoms game is showing trying few tricks should solve it.

Cioby

Distinguished
It's a very new release. If you don't have the same issues on other modern titles, I suggest you actually talk to their support and send them the screenshots. Also they will be able to tell you if your CPU is not enough, since they know best (generally but not as a rule, so they may say you need a new CPU and may be wrong).

And secondly you should monitor what happens just before the crashes. Does your CPU go over a certain temperature, does it suddenly drop to 0% just before the crash, etc.

Jexta

Honorable
May 9, 2013
Thanks to everyone for the replies. I'm going to do a disk check and verify the games integrity/contact support to see what troubleshooting they may have then.

And secondly you should monitor what happens just before the crashes. Does your CPU go over a certain temperature, does it suddenly drop to 0% just before the crash, etc.

As far as what happens its not like a bad crash. The game just closes out. No weird noises or stuttering. The CPU screen i have up called coretemp has all my cores temperatures at about 43 degrees and it doesn't get near 50. In fact its the same no matter what i do on my computer.. its the "load" on the right that goes banana's when this game is up and running. each core is at high 80's and 90's while running the game and 100% during loading phases. Task manager reflects that my CPU usage is at 100% with the game itself having about 93-95% of it (other things like the launcher used to run the game, discord are small percentages topping the 100 off)

Thats why i figured maybe my CPU just couldn't handle it. Figured the computer just closed out the game when the CPU was too stressed.

I'll look into some of these options tho. Thanks again everyone!

Be aware of new nvidia drivers, and game patches, maybe thay can work some magic on that not soo new CPU.

Also make sure this is the only game that you see this wierd issues. Play other new stuff, If still going bad, maybe you just got a bad GPU (but most probably its just the game that needs fixes)