Question Is my CPU running at normal temps?

Dec 7, 2021
hey guys I upgraded my r7 3700x to a r9 5900x with a lien li Galahad 240 AIO and was wondering if 48c min to 57c max a normal temp when idle?

since that's what I'm getting.

DSzymborski

Titan
Yup, that's perfectly normal. Zen 3 chips are quite aggressive at squeezing out performance, which means higher temperatures. They basically consider your thermal margin as a resource to utilize, which you can change if you need to.

Your temperatures, assuming normal ambient temperature, aren't that much warmer than my deltas (I should be a few degrees cooler with a 360 AIO and I'll usually beat a lot of people in absolute temperature since my basement office is about 18 C most of the year).

azed3000

Distinguished
Feb 16, 2012
Yea those seem normal. My mate has a 5950x and idled around the same, then on load went up to around 75. Its a very narrow fluctuation. Unlike Intel which ranges from 19c all the way to 85c on average.

KyaraM

Admirable
s.
Yea those seem normal. My mate has a 5950x and idled around the same, then on load went up to around 75. Its a very narrow fluctuation. Unlike Intel which ranges from 19c all the way to 85c on average.
What fluctuation are you talking about, exactly? Also, 85°C isn't a great average temp and should and can be improved. 19°C, meanwhile, isn't really possible with standard cooling under standard room temperature of 21°C.

hey guys I upgraded my r7 3700x to a r9 5900x with a lien li Galahad 240 AIO and was wondering if 48c min to 57c max a normal temp when idle?

since that's what I'm getting.
Idle temps are not terribly important, not comparing to max temps under heavy load. Idle is pretty stretchy term anyway, I wouldn't consider it full idle unless CPU usage is 1% or less. Normal temps under such idle condition is about 10c above ambient. If it's not already done you could set pump speed to maximum all the time and set fan curve to start with faster RPMs.

azed3000

Distinguished
Feb 16, 2012
s.

What fluctuation are you talking about, exactly? Also, 85°C isn't a great average temp and should and can be improved. 19°C, meanwhile, isn't really possible with standard cooling under standard room temperature of 21°C.
Yea i was talking on average for that same era as the 5950x which was a 10th gen 10900k. Also i think there's a misunderstanding, when i said average, i meant the average quantity of intel chips would average a max temp of around 85 degrees. I personally get around 19 on my loop during the winter so thats where my 19 degree figure came from. I may have exaggerated "average" a little there, i was just humoring the op and reassuring his temps are fine haha. Apologies if its misleading in any way.