Is my cpu too slow for my pc?

rec_laratta

Reputable
Mar 27, 2018
I have a Ryzen 3 1200 with 8x2 2400mhz ram and a RX 560 but even just running windows it takes up 4gbs of ram and my processor jumps up from 20% usage to 80% usage then drops back down...Is it background programs?

XaveT

Distinguished
Jul 15, 2013
The processor won't have anything to do with the RAM part (technically it does, but it's so small you'll never notice it).

I would check background programs and see what's starting and stopping. That could be windows updates installing.

The Ryzen 3 1200 isn't the strongest processor out there by any means, but we would need more information to really help further. What are you trying to do that it's slow?

Many folks obsess over task manager....; some obsess during games as well.

Evaluate processor/mem usage after all updates are downloaded/applied, no browsers opened, etc...

My 7700K shows 1% cpu usage at idle....spikes to 2% occasionally as Dropbox, P-cloud, One Drive, etc., do checks.

A lot depends on whether you bought this computer already built, or did you build it yourself? Pre-built computers usually have bunch of software installed, in theory for your convenience, and a lot of it is set to boot up with Windows. So your first step would be to see what is booting up with Windows and stop it from running unless you manually start it(if it's not something you always need).

If you built this computer then it's a bit easier since you know exactly what software you installed. In Task Manager 'details' tab you can see a "CPU" column that tells you how much CPU each process is using.

In normal use your computer will use memory and CPU power. So just because there is usage it does not automatically mean there is a problem. How do your games and programs run? That will tell how things are.