[SOLVED] Is My Custom Pc Bad, Ok, Good, or Great!?

Dec 14, 2018
So I built a new Pc and I was wondering if I screwed up or what before I decide to test it lol it is powered by a Intel I5-4670 CPU paired with a founders edition GTX 780TI.
Intel I5-4670 cooled by Cyrorig C7 cooler
GTX 780TI Founders Edition
Asus H81M-PLUS motherboard with 8GB of DDR3 ram made by Gskill Intel 120 SSD and a 320GB HDD with windows installed
500w PSU
Inside a Apevia Mirage case with see through sides

Solution

What PSU do you have right now? If it's the one that came with the case get rid of it ASAP and get a much better unit.

As far as case goes that depends on how much you want to spend but something like a NZXT H500 or Fractal Design Meshify C is what you should be looking at.

g-unit1111

Titan
I would say OK - Apevia cases are not known for quality and that generic PSU will give you headaches down the road. I would look at replacing that PSU ASAP. A 4670 / 780TI combination is decent for this day and age but could be better. Overall I'd give it a 6 / 10.

Dec 14, 2018

I am 14 so money was my biggest issue and I managed to get a 160 psu, should I get it on there and what case should I get

g-unit1111

Titan

What PSU do you have right now? If it's the one that came with the case get rid of it ASAP and get a much better unit.

As far as case goes that depends on how much you want to spend but something like a NZXT H500 or Fractal Design Meshify C is what you should be looking at.

Solution
Dec 11, 2018
Just a few things.

First, SSD's have taken a HUGE price plunge in the last year. 7 months ago I paid $130 for a 500gb Samsung 860 EVO SATA SSD. Less than a month ago I paid $130 for a 1 TB Samsung 860 EVO SATA SSD (actually, I bought 3 of them, 2 for the RAID 0 array in my desktop and 1 for my 2nd hd in my gaming laptop). So using a small SSD and a regular old-school hard drive no longer makes sense.

In fact, I'm going to make a declaration for the record right here.

Now that you can buy a 1 TB SSD for less than $150, the age of the mechanical hard drive is OFFICIALLY OVER. There is no longer any reason to stoop to using such antiquated technology. (I've officially been 100% SSD on every rig I own for over a year now - death to the conventional hard drive).

The appropriate amount of RAM for a gaming computer is 16 gig in 2018. If you're going to be streaming, the upgrade to 32 gig can make sense.

The i5 4670 is a 4th Gen cpu. We're on Gen 9 now. Just saying.

The 780 Ti is also several generations old. Fine for running old school games, if that's what you play. For more modern usage, the GTX 10 series (1080, 1070, ect) and new RTX 20 series (2070, 2080, ect) are where you really want to be. For modern games. And ESPECIALLY beyond 1080p resolutions.

Your system is a good gaming rig, the only problem is it's a good gaming rig in 2014. We're nearly 5 years on from that now.

g-unit1111

Titan

Before you go investing in an SSD, let's talk priorities here. An SSD is a necessity and a must have for a PC in this day and age, but let's take a look at the original equipment here. Apevia cases and PSUs are utter garbage and should be replaced ASAP. Do that first, then we can talk about adding an SSD to the mix.

The appropriate amount of RAM for a gaming computer is 16 gig in 2018. If you're going to be streaming, the upgrade to 32 gig can make sense.

If I remember the H81 at max can support 16GB, although some configurations may allow for 32GB but don't quote me on that.

The 780 Ti is also several generations old. Fine for running old school games, if that's what you play. For more modern usage, the GTX 10 series (1080, 1070, ect) and new RTX 20 series (2070, 2080, ect) are where you really want to be. For modern games. And ESPECIALLY beyond 1080p resolutions.

Yes but not everyone can afford the RTX series. You got to start small, then work your way up.