Question Is My Desktop Computer Giving Up One Me?

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

atif93

Prominent
Jul 6, 2020
Hello Guys,

I built a desktop computer in 2018 with these specs, Ryzen 3 1600, 16GB RAM, and 250GB SSD Boot Drive, With 1TB files and games drive.

I installed two games on Steam and my PC is moving at an absolute snails pace, I cannot multitask because the cursor is so slow and I cannot do anything about it.

I checked all the hardware is fine and when playing light games, I also suffer from slowness now which never happened before?

Is the PC conking out? Please guys, I need your help!

atif93

Prominent
Jul 6, 2020
start a new build?

if this format & reinstall doesn't improve upon your current issue(s) then there is no software manipulation that can help.
it would prove this is a hardware issue.

if disk and memory scans have completed with no errors then it points to CPU and/or motherboard problems.

whether replacing one or the other would solve the issue is difficult to determine without trial & error.

maybe contact a local computer shop and see what they would charge for individual component testing.
Much obliged thank you very much, will keep you posted, I’ve got a feeling my system is dying personally.

Reactions: JohnBonhamsGhost
you can always complete a new more up-to-date and more powerful build and keep the other current as a backup/test-platform system.

i currently have my main 11th gen Intel Core system,
plus a secondary 8th gen backup system,
plus a 4th gen media center system for our family room.

can never have too many computers around...

Reactions: atif93

atif93

Prominent
Jul 6, 2020
you can always complete a new more up-to-date and more powerful build and keep the other current as a backup/test-platform system.

View: https://imgur.com/a/gnq2wax

Brand new fresh format and this came back again it's definetly baked into Windows.

atif93

Prominent
Jul 6, 2020

So after a fresh format it appeared again I used Windows Media Creation Tool, any advice on what I do from here please?

I got a driver Utility that auto updates everything.
this could actually be your issue then.
if you are relying on a 3rd party software to download and install drivers on your system rather than downloading them directly from the motherboard manufacturer you can suffer many problems resulting from incorrect and/or outdated drivers, added bloat-ware or malware, and other issues.
also these types of applications cannot download and flash the latest BIOS.
you will need to either do this manually or with motherboard manufacturer control software.

you should reinstall your OS and use only manually downloaded and installed drivers directly from the manufacturer product support pages and avoid using any 3rd party utilities.

atif93

Prominent
Jul 6, 2020
this could actually be your issue then.
if you are relying on a 3rd party software to download and install drivers on your system rather than downloading them directly from the motherboard manufacturer you can suffer many problems resulting from incorrect and/or outdated drivers, added bloat-ware or malware, and other issues.
also these types of applications cannot download and flash the latest BIOS.
you will need to either do this manually or with motherboard manufacturer control software.

you should reinstall your OS and use only manually downloaded and installed drivers directly from the manufacturer product support pages and avoid using any 3rd party utilities.
I done a 5th format today and I let Windows grab everything, still it didn’t make a difference, so I’ve decided to now make the computer a Plex server, I can’t keep doing format after format, actually I’m hearing from my CPU and graphics card, does that mean anything?

atif93

Prominent
Jul 6, 2020
Windows doesn't install proper drivers or update your BIOS.
it only uses generic MS provided drivers.

it doesn't matter how many times you go through the process, if it is never done correctly then you will never have a properly operating system.
Windows doesn't install proper drivers or update your BIOS.
it only uses generic MS provided drivers.

it doesn't matter how many times you go through the process, if it is never done correctly then you will never have a properly operating system.

I really appreciate what you say Sir, I have literally exhausted my options, these are the most formats I have done in a single day, every time after updates and grabbing audio and video software from manufacture, problem keeps coming back, something is either wrong with CPU or GPU.

Karadjgne

Titan
Ambassador
Go to the website of the motherboard manufacture, go to support and then downloads. You'll need to know the EXACT motherboard you have including revision number.

You'll have 2 options Bios and Drivers. If there's an All in One driver, get that. If not, you'll need Lan, audio, USB family, Sata at a minimum.

For bios, follow the instructions for latest applicable to your board. Once you start the process, do NOT turn off the pc or try to reset. There will be full installation instructions, follow them to the letter, exactly.

atif93

Prominent
Jul 6, 2020
Go to the website of the motherboard manufacture, go to support and then downloads. You'll need to know the EXACT motherboard you have including revision number.

You'll have 2 options Bios and Drivers. If there's an All in One driver, get that. If not, you'll need Lan, audio, USB family, Sata at a minimum.

For bios, follow the instructions for latest applicable to your board. Once you start the process, do NOT turn off the pc or try to reset. There will be full installation instructions, follow them to the letter, exactly.
Thank you for this information, I have really exhausted my options, I’ve done 5 formats nothing has changed, I’ve gotten drivers no difference, the whole system is slowing down, I believe my CPU and GPU could be dying.

atif93

Prominent
Jul 6, 2020
Hello Everyone, I suddenly don't feel like buying a desktop computer anymore, I do play Steam Games, however the games I play are not very demanding, the only games I play are:

1. House Flipper.

2. Software Inc.

3. Laptop Tycoon.

I am thinking of buying a Dell XPS 13 and playing these games, can someone please help me to make sure this is the right decision thanks?