Is my GPU bad or my PSU?

Soggyhead16

Reputable
Nov 8, 2014
Hello everyone, my newly built computer is having some issues. I would like to know your opinions. It simply does this, it will crash (and by crash i mean the screen will go black, instead of a BSoD). But it will only do this if the GPU is installed. So do i have a faulty GPU, it is a msi gtx 760. And the rest of my rig is.
Mobo: ASrock h81m-hds
Processor: Intel pentium g3258
Psu: Thermaltake 600W
Another concern of mine would be that the PSU is gone bad since it crashes with the GPU in that it might be drawing to much power. But the minimum required wattage for the GPU is a 500W, and i have a 600W. Tell me what you guys think

Soggyhead16

Reputable
Nov 8, 2014
Yes it is a tr2 600w. And let me clarify with my first post. It will boot and post but I can play on it for varying amounts of time before the monitor goes black. Sometimes it will restart itself and sometimes won't, most of the time it wont. There are also artifacts when I boot in safe mode, but that can vary to when I have the gpu in.

Soggyhead16

Reputable
Nov 8, 2014
This was another thing I should mention, I had a different psu (the one I originaly bought) in there but it was a corsair cx430m which was too low of a wattage but the same thing occurred? Like I said the minimum recommended wattage is 500w.

Soggyhead16

Reputable
Nov 8, 2014
Ya so he will be fine with it. Still might be awhile though. I currently have it running on the motherboard and it hasn't gone out. With how it is running right now I'm still confused on if it's a gpu problem, just because without the gpu it runs fine. But it could be running fine because the psu isn't pulling as much power anymore. And when it pulls more power it then crashes.

Soggyhead16

Reputable
Nov 8, 2014
Well, it certainly is the gpu. We tried it out on my friends computer and it crashed it. Now that I remember correctly the desiccant in the gpu box had actually gone bad, meaning they had somehow gotten moisture. Thanks for the solutions everyone!

Soggyhead16

Reputable
Nov 8, 2014

Ya I'm just glad we could pin the problem. The funny thing is I can actualy play most of my games 1080p with the on board graphics. Pretty high settings to with overclocking