Nov 25, 2012
Before i get into everything... system specs:
I7 2600K oc'd to 4.2
16 gb gskill cas9 2133 mhz ram
asus p8p67 deluxe b3 revision
rosewill 8oow psu
gtx 680 superclocked 2gb
designated ssd for boot

Literally less than an hour ago i was just chilling on the internet reading some forums when my computer just froze and shut off so obviously i turned it back on to see wtf was up with it, and when it turned back on my computer didnt boot at all, my monitor didnt even detect an input and on my mobo my red vga led was on....

This has happened before to me and last time it happened after some trouble shooting i pulled out my 680 and put in an old radeon 5670 and it booted up fine, i installed the drivers and it was working perfect with the 5670 in so i took it back out and put the 680 in and booted up and then it worked, and it has been working flawlessly since then.

But this time when i tried putting in the 5670 and then the 680 after it, it boots but after the starting windows screen dissappears and it moves to the logon stage of my boot the 680 just stops displaying anything, and once again my monitor was left with no signal so now im kind of thinking my 680 is at the end of the road and this isnt some kind of weird glitch with my mobo or something like that....

Any help is appreciated id really rather not buy another gpu unless i have to.

** couple other things i did for trouble shooting is switching the 680 to another pcie slot, booting with no displays connected, booting without the video card and then with, and a combination of pretty much everything in random orders and nothing has worked.

GamingMaster

Reputable
Sep 21, 2014
Sounds like a bad card... sorry to say.

But before you go and buy another card, make sure that the card isn't over heating? Check to make sure the fans are working// spinning fine and that you can feel air moving.

Second try the card in another PC. In my opinion it can be a driver interference, since u had another card back than and now using a GTX 680, you can try doing a fresh install of Windows and only using the 680 after. The reason I know this is because I had my 680, got a 7870 installed it and booted up, right on the welcome screen of windows 7 my screen went black. And the problem was drivers interfearing, the 680 drivers interfearing with the 7870. Yours can be like that too.

Third. make sure the PSU is good. It can be a going bad PSU since the 680 requires more power than a 5870, i know u have a 800W psu but it can be a bad PSU, so thats why you should try the card in another pc,, perhaps a friends?

You wouldnt want to just get rid of the 680, because this doesn't sound like a bad GPU, u dont see any artifacts or anything. no screen tearing. A black screen can occur for many reasons, And a 680 is a good card and I wouldnt want anyone to just get rid of. Anyways give some of those options a shot and get back to us. Good Luck! Cheers

jkrueger188

Honorable
Nov 25, 2012

I actually did a fresh install of windows about a week ago so only the 680 drivers would have been on there when it stopped working... As for trying it in another computer though, i did think of that but of course none of my friends have decent computers haha so ill see if any of the local pc shops around have a computer i could try it in.

jkrueger188

Honorable
Nov 25, 2012

So i took it to one of the local pc shops and they let me throw it in one of their demo computers, so the pc booted up perfectly fine with the latest drivers on it so then i stress tested it for an hour on heaven dx 11 on pretty much max settings and when i came back it was still running perfectly fine so clearly the card wasnt bad....

After that i went home did a fresh install of windows and my pc booted up perfectly, i just ran heaven dx 11 fo 30 min on my 680 and it worked just as good as it did in the demo computer so idk what the actual cause of everything was but either way it's working now so im happy.

Because i actually did think my 680 was dead (which it clearly is not woohooo!!!) i already went ahead and bought a gtx 970 so once that comes, im gonna sell my 680 and with that money buy either a new mobo or a new psu... not sure which yet but im leaning towards a new mobo since my curent one is about 3 years old whereas my psu is a little less than a year old.

jkrueger188

Honorable
Nov 25, 2012
After a little more screwing around with everything today i found out the problem was the motherboard...

Not the motherboard itself but more specifically the cmos/bios. I had the same problem again with the red vga led coming on after completely taking power away from my computer for an hour and then plugging it back in so i simply reset the cmos then restarted the computer and it booted right up and works perfectly so that solves that problem... Guess i'll be getting a new motherboard for sure now.