Is my GPU dead?

Rickberg

Reputable
Jun 14, 2015
So I built my first PC about a week ago, then Saturday night I was playing LoL and my screen flickered, then the screen shut off. The computer continued to work (I could even hear game sounds coming from the speakers), but no display.

I have:
CPU: I5-4460
GPU: XFX R9 280X
RAM: 8GB Team Elite
SSD: Samsung 120GB
HDD:Hitachi 1TB
PSU: Corsair CX500

I ended up manually shutting down the pc and restarting. Upon restarting, there was still no display. I tinkered around a bit, working through the troubleshooting guide I found on here. Swapped my RAM around, checked all my connections, all that jazz with no result.

I ended up booting the computer up using the vga port on the mobo and got into the BIOS. On there, I checked the System Browser and it said that my PCI-e slot was empty. Which it most certainly was not. That is the only PCI-e slot I have on my mobo (ASrock h97m anniversary) so I can't plug the card into another slot.

The fans on the gpu are still spinning, but thats it. I'm pretty sure I might just have a bad card, so I've got it all boxed up and ready to send back to newegg for a replacement, but I'm just checking again to see if there might be another fix that I can do before sending it back. I'd hate to send it back, have them test it and tell me there's nothing wrong with the card and end up being without a card for a couple weeks just to end up back where I'm at now.

This is my first pc, so I don't know a ton about them, or how to fix them. Also, I don't know anyone else with a gaming pc, so I can't really plug my card into their system to check if it works. Are there any stores that will let me test my card in their machines, or am I pretty much screwed and just need to RMA it like I'm planning?

Talesseed

Reputable
Apr 20, 2014
Maybe you should check the pci-e connections that connect the graphic card to the mother board.
Madcap is also right, cx psu are not that great for heavy tasks, if you like corsair you should buy a hx series.
By the way, 500 W is fine for this rig.

Rickberg

Reputable
Jun 14, 2015

What do you mean by checking the pci-e connections?

RobCrezz

Expert
Ambassador

Probably means the power cables from the PSU to the graphics card.

Can also try removing the card and putting it back in, reseating it.

Rickberg

Reputable
Jun 14, 2015

I've checked and double checked that the power cables are plugged in correctly. I've also tried reseating the card two or three times without success. I'm assuming the power cables are fine since the fans are turning on, but I could be mistaken.