Is my GPU dead?

behays

Prominent
Sep 28, 2017
I have an old nvidia GTX570 that's been in a closet for a long time. Threw togeather a bunch of components I had to make a rig for a friend but I have a feeling the gpu is fried. The computer functions fine until you put a load on the video card. Games that require substantial video power will crash almost instantly when started and the computer goes to a solid light green screen and sound goes into a loop for about 20 seconds. Games like civ5 or counterstrike will play for a bit before either going to the same green screen or just the computer shutting off all the sudden. I am nearly positive this is a video card issue but I am not sure if it is fixable or if the card is just trash.

The motherboard is asus, chipset is AMD, the video card that originally was with this mobo was a radeon, hoping the problem is driver related or something.

600w EVGA PSU

Solution
Have monitored the temperatures of the various components when attempting to run a game?

Something could easily be overheating and causing the crash. Though a green screen usually does indicate a video problem. Still after sitting in a closet it might be time to change the thermal paste on the GPU. (you never know, just the act of reassembly might take care of a minor conductivity issue)

Eximo

Titan
Ambassador
Have monitored the temperatures of the various components when attempting to run a game?

Something could easily be overheating and causing the crash. Though a green screen usually does indicate a video problem. Still after sitting in a closet it might be time to change the thermal paste on the GPU. (you never know, just the act of reassembly might take care of a minor conductivity issue)

Solution