Question Is my GPU dead?

Cal9099

Distinguished
Dec 27, 2013
  • Processor (CPU): Intel i7-4770K
  • Graphics Card (GPU): GTX780 (& Intel HD Graphics 4600)
  • Motherboard: G1 Sniper Z87
  • RAM: 24GB DDR3
  • Power Supply (PSU): Corsair RM650
Earlier on out of nowhere both my PC screens went black (can't recall if audio was working or not) but the PC was still running. I hard reset it and only one screen was working on reboot and the resolution had been lowered, a sign that the integrated graphics card had taken over.
Sure enough I now have a ! (error code 43) by my GTX 780 on device manager. I've tried messing with driver updates and it's sporadically removed the ! from device manager but the second screen never came back and the ! is back on the device manager. GPU-Z also says 0MB for memory size and unknown bandwith.

The combination of the GPU-Z data and the error code suggest to me the GPU is finished, but I'm not a tech wizz, so could someone confirm?
What I don't understand is why one of my screens is working despite both being connected to my GPU (one via HDMI and one via HDMI to DVI)

Thanks!

Last edited:
My gut is telling me that your card is dead. It is a GTX 780 after all and if you've been using it all these years, it has given you good service and has probably decided that it's time to retire. I mean, you've used it for eleven years and that's actually quite impressive longevity for a card that gets used every day. Most high-end cards can only endure 6-8 years of constant use. Of course, they don't really need to last longer than that because people usually upgrade them before that (which is why the used market thrives).

I would say that a good bet for you would be to pick-up an RX 5700 XT for about $135.

The RX 5700 XT is 138% faster than the GTX 780 so you'll be blown away by its performance. You wouldn't even have to worry about power draw because the GTX 780 has a TDP of 250W while the RX 5700 XT has a TDP of 225W.

The RX 5700 XT will play all modern titles at 1080p and is even more potent than the best-value new card out there, the RX 6600. I actually own one myself (an XFX THICC-III model) and so I know first-hand just how good the RX 5700 XT is.

I may have since moved on to an RX 6800 XT and now and RX 7900 XTX, but I still have my RX 5700 XT. It's the card that kept me sane during the pandemic as it's the card that I principally played AC:Odyssey on.

Cal9099

Distinguished
Dec 27, 2013
My gut is telling me that your card is dead. It is a GTX 780 after all and if you've been using it all these years, it has given you good service and has probably decided that it's time to retire. I mean, you've used it for eleven years and that's actually quite impressive longevity for a card that gets used every day. Most high-end cards can only endure 6-8 years of constant use. Of course, they don't really need to last longer than that because people usually upgrade them before that (which is why the used market thrives).

I would say that a good bet for you would be to pick-up an RX 5700 XT for about $135.

The RX 5700 XT is 138% faster than the GTX 780 so you'll be blown away by its performance. You wouldn't even have to worry about power draw because the GTX 780 has a TDP of 250W while the RX 5700 XT has a TDP of 225W.

The RX 5700 XT will play all modern titles at 1080p and is even more potent than the best-value new card out there, the RX 6600. I actually own one myself (an XFX THICC-III model) and so I know first-hand just how good the RX 5700 XT is.

I may have since moved on to an RX 6800 XT and now and RX 7900 XTX, but I still have my RX 5700 XT. It's the card that kept me sane during the pandemic as it's the card that I principally played AC:Odyssey on.
Thanks so much for your input. I've always avoided the AMD cards as I only really knew the NVIDIA range and found it a bit daunting trying to learn the AMD range but I'll definitely look into the 5700 XT.

Reactions: Avro Arrow

Imperat0r

Proper
Apr 19, 2024
Hello.
I own 6 RX 5700XT cards. 4 of them are from Sapphire and 2 of them are from XFX.
They are a good investment.
At least i am talking about quality.
As for your needs, if you are limited by your current config and of course by the budget, yeah for sure an RX 5700XT is a good choice.

Reactions: Cal9099
Thanks so much for your input. I've always avoided the AMD cards as I only really knew the NVIDIA range and found it a bit daunting trying to learn the AMD range but I'll definitely look into the 5700 XT.
You'll be very satisfied with it. Steve Walton at Hardware Unboxed says that it's his favourite card overall from the RX 5000 / RTX 2000 generation. Here's his initial review from 5 years ago:
Then he revisited the RX 5700 XT 3 years later:
Then he compared it to the GTX 1080 Ti and RTX 3060:
If that wasn't enough, he revisited it again in April of this year (2024):
And then he even featured it in his crazy 43-card Black Myth: Wukong GPU Benchmark video:
Steve treats this card the same way he treats the Ryzen 7 5800X3D, he himself has said that he just can't seem to stop talking about it even years after its release. :giggle:

So, you can be quite certain that this card will be far more than enough for someone who is accustomed to a card as old as a GTX 780.

However, I would be remiss if I to forget to tell you that before changing your drivers over, you must run DDU (Display Driver Uninstaller) to completely remove the old GeForce drivers before installing your new Radeon package. In fact, I run DDU when updating my Radeon drivers. It takes a couple of minutes but it is well worth it.

You can get DDU here (and it has all the instructions you need): DDU v18.0.8.0 at Guru3D

Last edited:
Reactions: MEMOFLEX