Is my gpu dead?

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

bobochez

Distinguished
Jan 18, 2012
So I got my 212+ finally, and I was doing some benchmarking on BF3 and 3dmark. I lef bf3 running on the campaign mode for about an hour to see what my max temps would be. I came back and the game was running at 40~ fps, then as soon as i walked foward, my computer froze, bf3 crashed, ctrl alt + delete wasn't responding, power button wouldnt turn off the computer, so I had to power off the psu. since then, Everything else on the computer seems to be running fine (fans turn on, lights work, etc...) but the gpu has no signs of being alive (fans dont spin, monitor is not getting a dvi signal) and I am very, very, concerned. I am wondering if this is the sign of a dead graphics card, and if so, what i did that would have killed it so fast (it is a 6850OC edition i put into my gaming rig about 8 months ago). I am going to bring it to my friends computer in about an hour to see if that gets it to work. If it doesnt work in another computer, does that mean for sure its dead? Thanks in advance, and sorry for the long-*** post.

Solution

Glad to hear it. Cheers and enjoy it!

Maxx_Power

Distinguished

Well, you need some spare parts to isolate the cause. So far you have tested with another GPU, so I'd suggest try another PSU. Those are the most obvious things remaining that can go wrong to cause the symptoms you observed.

What's your current make and model of PSU ?

bobochez

Distinguished
Jan 18, 2012

Its a seasonic 620w

Maxx_Power

Distinguished

Okay, that's a top tier power supply. I'd try another PSU anyway to make sure.

Also, try giving Asrock a call and see if there is any warranty left on the board. They may still grant you 3 year warranty regardless what the retailer said about the open box.

bobochez

Distinguished
Jan 18, 2012

ok I feel bad about giving you different ideas of whats wrong then changing it, but i just tried hooking up a different monitor to my laptop using the same VGA cord, and it isnt getting a signal either. am starting to think (and hope) that all thats wrong is that my DVI / vga cord has broken. This is still unclear to me though, as it would have to mean that both of my cables are broken and the same thing is happening on 2 monitors set up on different computers. I AM SO CONFUSED!?!?!? I am going to put the different monitor on my desktop computer and seee what happens. thank you very much for your help and patience with this!

This is why it pays to have a second or even a third rig on hand for backup and testing. When boards go they are pretty easy to isolate but I doubt that it is the psu. If all else you can take the card out and inspect for any burn marks or discolorations that suggest a hot spot. Was there any random lock ups or blue screens in the days or weeks before this? If there was then it suggests a power related failure and have gone through a few my self.

Put the card in the lower slot and give it a try. If that doesn't work get any old second hand card that uses pci-e and give it a try. That board might not boot the first and second time but it will eventually come back if there was a failure. I got the 990fx version of that asrock board and it took a few tries after a psu (nzxt hale-90 1kw) failed.

bobochez

Distinguished
Jan 18, 2012

I checked for marks on the pcb and on the heatsink but I don't see anything unusual. There were a few lock ups earlier when I was playing BF3 but they went away after about a day. The other gpu I tried was a pcie - powered card and still didn't work when i installed it in either pcie slot, so im going to rule out the power supply as a source of failure. My friend is going to bring my 6850 to his dorm to test it out and see if its my board not working. I would love to have multiple rigs, but I got no money :p I can barely afford a new gpu or new motherboard as is, so another rig will have to wait.

Maxx_Power

Distinguished

Once you have tested your GPU on your friend's computer, let us know. It is very conceivable that your motherboard has died.

Also, check into the warranty status with Asrock. They give 3 years, so I have no idea why the retailer was quoting you only 6 months. Perhaps there is more warranty to the board per Asrock...

bobochez

Distinguished
Jan 18, 2012

Ok I will call up asrock and ask them about the warranty.

bobochez

Distinguished
Jan 18, 2012

I called up the sore I got it from and they said the guy I talked to was wrong, but they dont sell the 970 any more so they say they can give me money back if i give them the motherboard and a reciept, which I still thankfully have. I will test my graphics card this weekend and get a response :D

Maxx_Power

Distinguished

Sweetness! That is good service. Let me know how this turns out.

bobochez

Distinguished
Jan 18, 2012

It works wonderfully! Thanks a million for all your help!! I got the new motherboard, installed it, and everthing went on and worked.

Status
Not open for further replies.