Question Is my graphic card dying? High graphic games keeps crashing.

sinshock555

Reputable
Feb 23, 2019
I bought this entire PC in around October 2017 and everything was running smoothly until recently everything graphic intensive just keep freezing and then crashing (Windows doesn't crash, though. Nothing ever crashes, just them video games). Here are my specs:
Processor: AMD Ryzen 5 1600
RAM: 16Gb DDR4 (G.Skill)
Graphic Card: Geforce GTX 1060 6Gb
A 650W PSU I totally forgot the model for
B350 Tomahawk (MS-7A34) Motherboard if that helps

Games I've tested: The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim Special Edition, The Witcher 3, Grand Theft Auto V, Fallout 4 (All on high settings and crash after around 30 minutes)
I've monitored temperature during gameplay using MSI Afterburner, both the CPU and GPU were both in around 50 to 65 celcius during the crash (which I supposed to be normal)
Things I've tried doing:
  • Reinstalled my graphic card driver using DDU, even reverted back to an older driver from last year
  • CHKDSK
  • Reinstalled Windows and resetting the entire PC
  • Cleaned registry using CCleaner
  • Benchmarked using Furmark for about half an hour (no crash)
  • Benchmarked using Unigine Superposition on 1080p Extreme settings (Game Mode) for about half an hour (crashed, Benchmark mode didn't crash since it only lasted about 5 minutes)
  • Tested low graphic games (Unturned, PAYDAY, Grand Theft Auto Vice City, Minecraft) (no crash)
  • No memory dump was generated after the crash
  • Event Viewer generated exception code 0xc0000005 for GTA V, The Witcher 3 and the Unigine Benchmark, and 0xc0000409 for Skyrim
  • I've tried removing the RAM and putting it back in
  • Tried running Windows Memory Diagnostic tool to test the RAM (No problem was found)
If anyone can help me with this, it would be most appreciated, because I'm stuck, the computer doesn't crash, windows doesn't crash, just the games that crashed. I don't have any spare GPU, CPU or RAM. Thank you.
Oh, and no, I didn't overclock anything.

Last edited:

DSzymborski

Curmudgeon Pursuivant
I think it's an AcBel iPower G650 650W, made in Taiwan

Oof, not what I was hoping to see. An extremely low-quality power supply makes things a bit more complicated. The symptoms are atypical for direct power supply problems, which will generally feature the PC turning entirely off all of a sudden. The GPU starting to fail is also a possibility, but it could have been damaged by a low-quality power supply, which is a complicating factor.

My next step in your shoes would be first to replace the power supply with a quality one -- something I'd do in your shoes even if you weren't having the problems you're describing -- and if the problems continue, either borrow a GPU or get one from a store with a flexible return policy.

sinshock555

Reputable
Feb 23, 2019
Oof, not what I was hoping to see. An extremely low-quality power supply makes things a bit more complicated. The symptoms are atypical for direct power supply problems, which will generally feature the PC turning entirely off all of a sudden. The GPU starting to fail is also a possibility, but it could have been damaged by a low-quality power supply, which is a complicating factor.

My next step in your shoes would be first to replace the power supply with a quality one -- something I'd do in your shoes even if you weren't having the problems you're describing -- and if the problems continue, either borrow a GPU or get one from a store with a flexible return policy.
What type of PSU do you recommend ? Because I'm really on a budget