[SOLVED] Is my graphics card dead?

SoulSparko

Honorable
Jan 29, 2015
It's been quite some time since I've posted here, but I don't know where else to turn. Last year (March 2020) I built an absolute powerhouse of a PC. I'll list specs, then I'll get to the issue.

Motherboard: Maximus XI Hero (Wi-fi)
CPU: Intel 9900k
RAM: 64GB Corsair Vengeance Pro 3200mhz (RGB if you must know)
Cooling: DEEPCOOL Castle 360X AIO
PSU: EVGA SuperNOVA 850 G+, 80+ Gold
Storage: SSD - 1TB M.2 NVMe Samsung 970 Evo
HDD - WD Black 4TB 7200 RPM
Case: Phanteks Enthoo Evolv X
And finally...

Graphics: EVGA GeForce RTX 2080 Ti Black Edition

For the last year everything has been fantastic. I don't put serious strain on anything right now. I originally bought everything because I'm both an enthusiast and I wanted to give myself the best possible VR experience with my Vive.

Now for the problem. 3 days ago, I got home from work and powered on my PC. Everything lit up like normal and my monitors started receiving the signal and woke up. This lasted all of 5 seconds before the LEDs on my graphics card shut off, and my monitors said there was not signal. Now at this point, I am able to pull cables from my graphics card and connect direct to mobo and use integrated graphics and everything else is working perfectly. To troubleshoot, I pulled power from my graphics card and reseated it in the same mobo slot to get the same results as when I initially powered up my rig for the day. The next step was to try a different slot on the mobo. So I powered down, took the proper precautions, and successfully relocated my card to the second x16 slot on my mobo. This worked. For the rest of that evening and the for the following day, my PC worked as intended (albeit uglier because the spacing in my pretty chassis was off). Now we come to the present. The issue happened again. The same issue as before, It powers up, lights on, signal to monitors, then my GPU shuts down. I took the same steps as before by reseating it. I reseated they GPU. I moved the GPU. I prayed for a second. This time it didn't work. So I powered down, left it for a while then returned to reseat it in the second slot once more, and I don't know where to go from here.

I'm desperately trying to tell myself that my incredibly expensive and valuable graphics card isn't dead... but I don't know what other steps to take. I don't have the components for another PC or to swap things out for troubleshooting.

Please help me!

Solution
Well, you might have a malfunctioning card that is killing PCIe slots, hopefully not the case.

You can try contacting EVGA, they might allow an RMA if you are within the warranty period.

Original Owner
  • 3 Year Standard Limited Warranty Product Suffixes: -A1, -A2, -A3, -A4, -AR, -AX, -CR, -CX, -DX, -FR, -FX, -SG, -SX, -KR, -K1, -K2, -K3, -K4, -K5 -KB, -KA, -KF, -KL, -KM, -KP, -KS
  • 2 Year Standard Limited Warranty Product Suffixes: -LA, -LE, -LR, -L1, -LX, -T1, -T2, -TR, -TX
  • 1 Year Standard Limited Warranty Product Suffixes: -B1, -BR, -BX, -DR, -RX, -R2, -RL
  • 90 Day Standard Limited Warranty Product Suffix: -RB
Used cards:
  • 3 Year Transferable Limited Warranty Product Suffixes:...

Eximo

Titan
Ambassador
Well, you might have a malfunctioning card that is killing PCIe slots, hopefully not the case.

You can try contacting EVGA, they might allow an RMA if you are within the warranty period.

Original Owner
  • 3 Year Standard Limited Warranty Product Suffixes: -A1, -A2, -A3, -A4, -AR, -AX, -CR, -CX, -DX, -FR, -FX, -SG, -SX, -KR, -K1, -K2, -K3, -K4, -K5 -KB, -KA, -KF, -KL, -KM, -KP, -KS
  • 2 Year Standard Limited Warranty Product Suffixes: -LA, -LE, -LR, -L1, -LX, -T1, -T2, -TR, -TX
  • 1 Year Standard Limited Warranty Product Suffixes: -B1, -BR, -BX, -DR, -RX, -R2, -RL
  • 90 Day Standard Limited Warranty Product Suffix: -RB
Used cards:
  • 3 Year Transferable Limited Warranty Product Suffixes: -A1, -A2, -A3, -A4, -AR, -AX, -CR, -CX, -DX, -FR, -FX, -SG, -SX, -KR, -K1, -K2, -K3, -K4, -K5, -KB, -KA, -KF, -KL, -KM
  • 2 Year Transferable Limited Warranty Product Suffixes: -LA, -LE, -LR, -L1, -LX, -T1, -T2, -TR, -TX

Only one way to find out yourself, you need another system to test with. I suggest taking the card to a shop and having them test it overnight running a benchmark on some sacrificial hardware. Unless you have an old PCIe system around.

Solution