[SOLVED] Is my graphics card failing or any other component?

Aug 20, 2019
Hey guys, I have MSI GT72VR 6RE Dominator Pro laptop purchased by late 2016. Recently i have been having issues with graphics. It started with screen freeze while playing games and random restarts that happen occasionally. Then i saw horizontal lines on screen which went away when i restarted. This was led by Code 43 Error for my GTX 1070 in device manager, which again fixes itself after restarting few times. Since the laptop has just passed it warranty stage, i took it to the computer service technician and he said he would "reflow" the graphics card which solved this issue for a month and it began all over again. Freeze (still able to hear movement and sounds in game) -> black screen -> restart -> horizontal lines ->restart multiple times -> everything fixes itself. View: https://imgur.com/LU0vMix

I raised a ticket with MSI, they sent me an invoice costing 900 euros to replace 1070 for my laptop which comes with 3 months warranty. I am skeptical about just having 3 months warranty after paying 900 euros. I found the same graphic card sold by a seller in ebay for 450 euros and it is listed as brand new taken from the laptop. Is there any way to confirm that only my GPU is at fault? I ran novabench and it gave me 764 for GPU. I tried to run heaven benchmark but nothing appears after i double click. i just see a command prompt window for less than a second and thats about it, no error message, nothing. Will undervolting be able to fix this issue? Ive been reading several threads and it says undervolting might fix artifact problem. (my laptop battery is not as it used to be, it used to last 1 hour avg, now i get 20 mins - if that info helps) I would appreciate any help/advice guys. Thanks in advance.

Solution
That looks like some Hardware corruption issue. Most probably the GPU, or some other Laptop component. Is your LAPTOP having an MXM slot ? Do you have the latest BIOS for your laptop ?

The above Error code 43 can be reported anytime when Windows does not recognize a device – whether it's a USB port, Hard drive, video card/GPU, or any other piece of hardware connected to the computer. Most of the time, error code 43 means that a device driver is either missing, corrupt, and/or outdated (so Windows has problems communicating properly with the hardware), or the hardware is faulty and needs to be replaced.

This error code points out that the Hardware might also be defective, which is the GPU...
That looks like some Hardware corruption issue. Most probably the GPU, or some other Laptop component. Is your LAPTOP having an MXM slot ? Do you have the latest BIOS for your laptop ?

The above Error code 43 can be reported anytime when Windows does not recognize a device – whether it's a USB port, Hard drive, video card/GPU, or any other piece of hardware connected to the computer. Most of the time, error code 43 means that a device driver is either missing, corrupt, and/or outdated (so Windows has problems communicating properly with the hardware), or the hardware is faulty and needs to be replaced.

This error code points out that the Hardware might also be defective, which is the GPU. Error code 43 is a generic message that typically indicates a problem with the hardware or software in Windows operating system. This error is often reported in Windows Device Manager.

Last edited:
Solution