Is my graphics card failing?

originsfan

Distinguished
Jan 6, 2012
Hi I got my older brother computer awhile back but lately it'll say input not supported. Even after I shut it off and turnit back on within five minutes the message will pop up again. I tried ajusting scree resolution and switching moniters to no avail and now these little dots (red,blue and green) pop up all over the screen. Sometimes it won't even turn on. So I was just wondering if it was the graphics card or something else.Thanks

mathew7

Distinguished
Jun 3, 2011
The pixels do sugest a GPU failiure. But the input not supported is a little strange. Do you know if windows still works? Like the HDD still blinking, especially after pressing the power button shortly (which by default is to do a windows shutdown).
I also would not rule-out the monitor completely (although I doubt the rogue pixel problem is monitor related).

BTW: does it happen to be an nVidia 8800 GPU? I've had mine fail in 1.5 years and a friends in 3. There was also bad press with nVidia relating to that generation of laptop GPUs, but many wondered how it affects desktops (as they are usually cooler, but made with same blamed package).