[SOLVED] Is my graphics card faulty or psu unable to keep up?

Jan 24, 2019
Hello, I've recently purchased a new motherboard, GPU and cpu.
- Asus Prime B450M-K
- MSI Radeon 8GB RX 570 OC
- Ryzen 5 2600x
My other specs are
PSU: Coolermaster CM Storm Edition GX650 650 watt 80+ bronze
Ram: Patriot PSD48G21332 8GB single DDR4 2133
SSD: Intel 540 series 120gb sata3

The problem with the new graphics card was that every so often the screen would freeze and the monitor would lose signal and come back seconds later, sometimes the pc restarted. This usually happened during games though it did occur whilst doing other things such as the browsing the internet. I did a clean install of the drivers multiple times using DDU as well as a clean install of windows. I also used new cables from the PC to the monitor with no success. I've put my old graphics card back in (Gigabyte N950D52GB 2G GtX950) and everything is working perfectly. Am I right to RMA the gpu?

Solution

According to this:
https://linustechtips.com/main/topic/631048-psu-tier-list-updated/
your PSU is a tier 4 unit, certainly not one of the better PSUs available, and not intended for high performance gaming systems. That being said, A GPUis easier to remove, RMA, and replace tnan a PSU. If a new GPU acts the same way, then it is time to replace the PSU.

Solution
i have to add, that when you get that sorted out with the GPU, I would try a different cable or output. you are running your RAM in single channel, and that is really going to hamper your performance while trying to game with a RYZEN cpu. if you can ditch that stick, or sell it, and get a 3000mhz or faster 16gb (8gbx2) kit, and your performance will be considerably better than before