Question Is my hard disk dead?

Aug 23, 2019
Hello!
I want to know if my hard disk is dead and if so is there any way to recover my data somehow.
I turned on my pc and immediately started hearing clicking sound coming from the hard disk area.
It also had a red led near it.
The system was stuck on the bios screen for some time and then gives boot configuration is missing error.
So is there no hope in recovering my data now?
Thanx for any help/advise.

The system was stuck on the bios screen for some time and then gives boot configuration is missing error.
So is there no hope in recovering my data now?
Connect the problematic drive to a working pc as secondary drive and try to read it. Check SMART data with hdtune health. It might be, that only bootloader configuration has been corrupted, but rest of data is still intact.

The reason that smacking the drive works is that it is most probably affected by stiction, ie the heads are stuck to the platters. "Percussive maintenance" is a last resort when paid data recovery is not an option and the drive would otherwise end up in the trash.

The symptoms of stiction would be beeping or a soft buzzing sound. In the OP's case the drive appears to have spun up, so smacking it won't help, and will undoubtedly make things worse.

Aug 23, 2019
Thank you for all the help
i had two drives a main and a secondary
the secondary one unfortunately died
but i connected my main as a secondary drive and got most of my data